Data on floppy but prompted to format it

gianni

Hi there, hoping someone can help me out here...

I have a floppy disk that already has a few files on it. When I try to read these files I am informed that the disk isn't formatted and am asked if I would like to do so. But if I format it I will lose all the data already on it. If it hadn't been formatted in the first instance am I right in thinking that I wouldn't have been able to save anything on it ??

I've had a search in google and the only suggestions are to download some shareware stuff that might solve the prob. But, as I am in a strictly controlled IT environment, I can't download anything like this. Is there some other way of accessing the data on the disk by adjusting system settings or the like ?

Any help greatly appreciated

Try it on another PC's floppy drive - ideally the one used to write the floppy disk in the first place.

As Clubman says, try another PC, as floppy drives go out of alignment easily and are not always the same from one pc to the next. Its possibe also that the disk is damaged which is fairly common with floppies as well in which case you are in trouble. Used to use some Norton Utilites in DOS of old to recover files like these, but cant remember much about them now...

Thanks for the quick feedback.

I have already tried it on 4 different PC's (including the one it was originally done on)....

I guess it's not looking for me...

When/where did you write the floppy in the first place? Are you sure that the contents ever appeared at all? Can you try the original PC used? There's always .

It's also possible that the original pc may have the files still, depending on how thorough file deletion and cleanup is, of course! Recent or temporary file folders may have something - worth a search for a phrase from the missing docs.

if you had floppy near a mobile, its possible that it could have damaged it.

Sorry - I meant references to the technical details behind this alleged source of corruption. That sheet simply states the same thing without any supporting evidence.

When/where did you write the floppy in the first place? Are you sure that the contents ever appeared at all? Can you try the original PC used?

It was actually my better half who wrote it in the first instance. It was worked on over 2 consecutive days - i.e. day 2 was a follow on from where it was left off on day 1, therefore it was definitely on the floppy. I went to the office where it was originally written and tried it on the 'original' PC, as well as several others. I have also tried it on several PC's in my office. No joy though...

Recent or temporary file folders may have something - worth a search for a phrase from the missing docs.

Did try this also but nothing...

Thanks anyway for your suggestions - will chalk it up to experience and not depend on floppy's as my sole backup in future...