Dangerous Sulky Race Cork-Mallow Rd: Are these Travellers above the law?

Status
Not open for further replies.

monagt

A TRAVELLERS’ group has called for all parties to come together to reconcile the traveller tradition of road racing and respect for the law of the land.

And I thought the law of the land was exactly that .........

A spokesperson for Pavee Point says this kind of racing is part of the traveller tradition, but is unregulated.

He called on Traveller groups, gardaí and local authorities to come together to find a resolution which, he says, will “respect both traveller culture and the law of the land”.

Pavee Point is funded by the taxpayer.................. Stop giving it my tax.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/traveller-group-seeks-solution-as-dangerous-sulky-race-on-main-cork-to-mallow-road-goes-viral-3103950.html

Why was only one arrested?

Why respect the law when there is no consequences?

Pavee Point have been rolling out the ''it's our culture'' for years and worse of all getting away with it.

I suspect that this thread ,like any discussion on Travellers and other so-called ethnic groups on AAM ,will soon be stopped.

So, is it not better to just agree that most people despise Travellers with varying degrees of intensity. The more genteel members of public avoid making nasty comments (at least in public) but hope that they don't ever have to interact with Travellers nor want them to settle/camp anywhere near us.

There is also a small minority of the public who genuinely feel that Travellers are really a down-trodden ethnic minority trying to preserve their culture, and that the tax-payers of Ireland should continually subsidise their way of life and not express any nasty racist opinion.

I won't say where I stand regarding Travellers because my (asian) wife says that i sound like a racist thug if I do; she, like the do-gooding leftie-liberals on this subject, can't accept one is judging on behaviour not so-called ethnicity.

So, whatever negative comments anyone makes on this thread will be misinterpreted as racist.

Yup enforce the laws of the land.

Be nice if they could do that near me too where it's the local boy racers who use a local road as an evening drag race venue without any intervention by Gardai. Or even spending a night in Letterkenny where each evening is a recreation of The Fast and The Furious without any real policing.

That's beside the point I'd agree and the "it's our culture" argument is redundant. I do wonder just how difficult it would be to organise an event officially so that a part of a road could be temporarily closed off, seems half the danger to others (rather than themselves) stems from having to try to covertly organise events.

Finding a solution makes more sense as the racing will continue and will continue to put others at risk and continue to eat up gardai resources.

There are channels to go down to organise that. People who organise rallys, cycle races and marathons do this.
They dont just race down roads willy nilly because they want to.

This is happening on roads around Cork all the time but it has been brought to national attention because someone was stupid enough to put it on youtube.

Lots of faces in that video and car regs on display. There is no reason why their cant be mass arrests.

There could be money in something like that

There could be money in something like that
Yeah - but who is paying?

I'm happy to see some form of organised safe racing. I strongly suspect I know who will pay for it though - and if my suspicions are correct, I'm not very happy.

Why is it also for the local authority to organise something for the travellers - and not for the travellers to organise said safe racing - as implied by the Pavee Point guy on the radio this morning?

I also want to know why there aren't about 30 arrests arising from that video.

You could argue that the Ploughing Championships are 'part of our culture' that doesn't mean that I can take a horse and plough to the green playing area outside my house...

'..respect traveller culture'....

... I'm not a traveller, but would a traveller group back me up if i decided to do sulky racing down the road. We Irish in general had a major culture of drink driving over the years - it was actually accepted to a degree not so long ago. So should the state be asked to 'respect our traditional culture of drink driving' - of course not - so what makes this any different.

They are not above the law and should not be treated as such. Someone on the oncoming traffic could have been hurt or killed with the carry on. What would traveller groups say in that instance.

The judgement here should be severe - there was no regard for the safety of others whatsoever - blatant disregard.

even if there was a minor crash - good luck trying to get a claim sorted!

Last edited:
is there really a tradition of this type of horse racing anywhere in Ireland, by any culture?
can't say I've ever heard of it

agree with comment above about the US and state troopers etc and how'd they'd deal with a situation like this. It'll continue to happen while the criminals know they won't be punished

A lot of racing goes on around Limerick and Cork, I believe. I also hear that prize money ( or betting on them) is large- in the tens of thousands. I know someone who says he won 60k on a race ( as the winner of the race), but unfortunately he's not the type of person you could say could be trusted to be telling the truth.

Yea, but if he's done for the race in Cork at least he'll pay in cash

more of the same carry on here - wonder if any one was was prosecuted on the back of this one...have my doubts

Status
Not open for further replies.