Dangerous roads

BillK

Saw in today's Daily Telegraph that Ireland has the 4th most dangerous roads in the EU. Any comments?

I don't know who is number 1,2 and 3, but from my experience Ireland is probably #1 of the traditional EU countries (pre 2004) with possibly the exception of Greece. There are too few dual carriage way roads and why do we allow the country roads to be "marked" by walls ? ? Never seen that on the continent.

This is a clear example of our friends in Europe not understanding how different we in Ireland are. Our leaders have spelled out clearly that the danger on our roads stems from our drivers. Roads in themselves cannot be dangerous!

The bottom line is that the divers make the roads dangerous; the roads play only a very small fraction of the problem. The government in fairness is trying to upgrade the road system but this will take years, even longer if the protesters e.g. on the M3 project have their way.

The simple solution is SLOW DOWN to an appropriate speed for the road conditions

Last edited:
I'm most definitely with the posters above. Roads aren't in themselves dangerous. Neither in fact are cars. It's how Irish drivers approach the usage of these cars on our national roads that's dangerous.

Ireland has the 4th most dangerous roads

Based on numbers of accidents (=> questionable conclusion) or based on some engineering-based measurement of the quality of our roads?