Dampness - related to frost?

PaddyH

Hi,

We moved into our new house 2 weeks ago - over the last few months we've had a few ongoing problems with damp patches which looked like there were sorted.

Last night we noticed a damp patch in the master bedroom where the wall meets the roof. This morning there are loads of damp patches around the room - on the ceiling etc. I can't understand this - there are no plumbing pipes in the area and it hasn't rained over last few days. Could the heavy night frost have caused them???

I have a similar problem in a rented apartment. I would like to hear other peoples responses, but I believe it maybe due to the tenants refusing to use the heating at any time in the bedroom and never opening the windows or the vents. Are there any special paints that can be used to treat it before you paint over it with normal ceiling paint?

Re: Dampness - related to frost/Condensation?

The builder called round last night and he's blaming the dampness on condensation. We have a wall vent in the room but it's been closed over the last few days - The window was open for 1 hour over weekend.

I would have thought that if the walls were properly insulated then this condensation would not happen - the damp patches are where the walls meet the ceiling/roof. In 1 corner the damp patch is very big. The insulation was pumped into the cavity - Could it be that there is a lack of insulation at the point where the wall meets the roof.

Anybody experience condensation in a new house before?

Back