damp problems in my kitchen (a period property) should I install aFrench Drain

elainem

I had a lot of damp problems in my kitchen (a period property). Some were saying it was rising damp, others that it was a leak. It turned out to be leaking central heating pipes under the floor. To fix it involves installing a new closed central heating system. All of the walls were stripped back because of rising damp evidence on plaster etc. However, my question is, Should I install a French Drain on outside of the property?The water table in the area is high 2.5 feet below ground level. The architect says there is no need to as it has been discovered that the damp was due to leaking central heating pipes underground (Architect was initially convinced it was rising damp). Should I install a French Drain or not? Will it help in an area of high water table? I am wary of my Architects advice, as despite everyone else being convinced it was a leak, he believed it was rising damp. The whole place was stripped back, kitchen removed etc. at great cost E40,000 for complete job plus cost of new kitchen. I woiuld appreciate any advice re. French Drain, as I do not want to have any more costly trouble with damp etc. in the house. Thanks in advance.

Re: French Drain

A french drain is a method to catch rain splashes and stop damp penetrating above the damp course. It appears that the rest of the house is OK and a cause was found for the original damp. You want re-assurance and as it is a period property that is what a French DRAIN will do but if your footpaths are the statutory 6 ins below the DPM then it is overkill. You did not say whether you intend to put it all the way around the property as this can be expensive.

noah

I dont see how the french drain by its self is going to lower the water level. anyway I thought you are going to sell the house, so why bother spending extra on the job.

Towger.

Noah and Towger, thanks for your comments. The architect is going to tank the kitchen walls and floor. The floor in the kitchen is not high enough above the ground outside - as regulations go. The french drain was going to just go outside the rear of the property. Is there any way of lowering the water table. The architect does not thinks this is very high for D4 area. Any comments welcomed.

I'd have thought a french drain would have limited effect where there is a high water table. You'd need to install one all around the property to lower the effective water table height under the building.
Leo

I'd have thought a french drain would have limited effect where there is a high water table. You'd need to install one all around the property to lower the effective water table height under the building.
Leo

The the water has to go somewhere, so unless the main sewer is lower, or the garden is on a slope, you are going to need a pump. All of which is going to add to the costs. Actualy there might be a well in the back garden, most of the houses on the road would have one. There is also a underground river which I believe runs from Upper Lesson St. down Clyde Road. But there is no point in spending an extra few K if the house is going to be sold.

Towger

a french drain will only redirect water away from the area that it's in so for it to be effective you will need to run the drain completely around the house and then connect into your house drains.

if you are going to install them make sure the drain is far enough away from the foundations so as not to disturb them or you'll be opening up a whole can of worms. tanking the walls will work but there's no substitute for not having the water there in the first place rather than attacking the symptom of water against the walls.

Hi! Towger and Leo,

Thanks for your replies. I think there is a possibility of a well in the garden. My mother mentioned something about this before she died - saying that it had been filled in before she bought the property, and she wondered if this was causing dampness. However, she was dying at the time, and I wasn't sure whether she meant her house in Waterford, which is of similar age, and design and had similar problems, or the house in Dublin. How would I find this out? I mentioned this to my architect, but he completely dismissed it. Someone did tell me that the council should have maps of any wells in the area. I offered to go and investigate this, but the arachitect told me he was the 'expert'. I would be almost afraid to mention,Towger, that you said there was a river running under these houses. Apart from the dampness in the kitchen - which we have discovered is due to leaking pipes - there is also some dampness along one internal wall, which appears to get wet on occasion and then dry out. They want to tank this too - but for extra money!! Do you think there are other problems going on with this house? Is it worth putting in a sump pump now, given that the house might not sell and I might have to rent it again. There are no other problems with the house, and otherwise it is in great condition. I would really appreciate your replies, as I have to give the builder the go-ahead tomorrow, or else he said he could not start for another month.

My answer is don't spend a cent more money than the bear minimum. You are going to sell it anyway, so the idea is to spend as little as possible on it, to maximise your return. The water was coming from a bust pipe, so once it is fixed and the kitchen repainted/plastered maybe new floor etc. Then that’s it. The sort of person who will buy it will not have second thoughts on ripping out your new kitchen, it if is not to their taste. Fit a new 100k+ kitchen, rewire and plum the whole house, new roof, add an extension etc.etc. Don't worry about a little damp, all period houses have some.

Towger