Damaged TV Remote Control

johnflan

My 4 year old has just "decomissioned" the remote control for our Phillips Matchline TV.

Any suggestions about how i get a replacement.

I haven't a clue when it comes to this type of stuff.

Thanks in advance

You can buy generic programmable remote controls in any Dixons or other electical shops - prices vary from 20-50 depending on the features you require. You can get one RC to control a TV/VCR/DVD/Audio if you so wish.

Lidle had an eight in one of €8 last year and this year it was €7 including the wee charge.

aj

If you are really a cheapscate - go to the 2 Euro shop beside Hector Grey's in Liffey Street - they sell all in one remotes for ... 2 Euro! Can't confirm if it works with Philips matchline - but it works for most tvs that are more than a year old.

You should be able to find the one you need on [broken link removed] Great site for all electrical spares. You'll need the model number. They sell both originals and non-branded compatible models. Non-branded are generally around £16, plus £5 delivery. This works out cheaper than many generic all-for-one remotes, with the advantage of having all the buttons specific to that TV. Replacement original remotes can vary from £40 to over £100 depending on the model!!!
Leo

I tried a couple of the uiniversal remotes and while they did turn on and off the TV ,selected the channels etc.Volume and menu buttons didn't work.So I bought a Beko replacement model and it's worked fine for all the TV functions.

I had problems with the cheap Euroshop remotes. I could only get about 80% funtionality on the tv with very limited success on my dvd player and Cdplayer and nothing at all on my amp.

Does anyone know which ones work for everything including CD player and Amp.

Gunnerbar said:
Does anyone know which ones work for everything including CD player and Amp.
I've had great success with the [broken link removed] products available in Dixons & Argos - They have models which can 'learn' from an existing remote control, and programmable keys which can be programmed to execute a sequence of buttons.

Bought a Lidl one for a couple of Euro last year. Comes with a list of codes for a huge list of makes and models. Works perfectly for my Sony TV, including the more obscure buttons. It's actually a 4-in-one capable remote, but I'd prefer a separate one for each device so I'm not sure how good this feature works in practice.

For this very reason I am after ordering one of the (Logitech) Harmony 688 Remotes off Amazon as they seem to be more programmable at least from the reviews I've seen. I will report back in a week or two on how I get on.

I bought an expensive universal remote control from Argos to replace the broken one supplied with my TV (dropped too many times onto wooden floor!).

It worked fine and appeared to have all the functionality I needed.

Then I moved from Dublin to Drogheda. Instead of using NTL I've now got an aerial. So all the TV channels needed to be re-tuned before I could watch anything.

Using my universal remote I've managed to get the TV to scan for available stations. Once located I needed to assign them to Channel 1, Channel 2, Channel 3 etc.

This is done by accessing the menus, tabbing through the channels and pressing the <Pgm OK > button on old remote.

The universal remote let's me into the menus, allows me to tab/move left/move right etc. and find the option I want. But there's no <OK> or <Save> button that duplicates the effect of the <Pgm OK> button from old remote.

So I can't watch my tv anymore!!

I can't return univeral remote as I've had it for a year.
I could get a new universal remote. But there's no guarantee it will work.

From what I can see generic remotes all have very few buttons i.e. far less than the remote supplied with one's tv.
They only duplicate the most obvious functions that are used 99% of the time.

I think I'd rather get a new TV. But I'll be asking saleman to recommend a tv that's equipped with a bouncy remote with everlasting durable casing.

Ste

Any chance you could borrow an original remote for that brand from a friend or even a shop?