Damaged parcel

sandrabing

I received a parcel from China of a box set of DVDs. The courier was EMS and when the item reached Ireland it was opened by customs. No problem except instead of opening the box where the opening was.....they cut into the top of the box and completely ruined a collectors edition DVD collection (not to mention the DVDs falling out).
It was stamped "customs, an post mail centre, portlaoise " does anyone know where do I go to complain ?? Would An Post be at fault or is customs a completely different organisation to them ??

Wasting your time with An Post - they won't accept any responsibility for anything, least of all a damaged package. Try Customs - they have a complaints procedure.

It might be no harm, if you have a camera handy, to take photos of the packaging, where it was torn badly etc. to support your arguement. Given that any complaint with An Post will take a looooong time (if their service is anything to go by lately), at least you will have some documentary proof...

Just got letter back from An Post today telling me they are sorry to hear about the damage that was inflicted on my parcel but the best thing for me to do was to contact the courier in China regarding the damage.
Am I right in thinking this has nothing to do with them as the damaged parcel was clearly repackaged wih An Post Customs tape ???

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Customer+Service/cust-howwehelp.htm#damaged_post

Above link may help but I doubt if you'll have any joy with An Post. If your complaint is not handled properly or taken seriously you should refer it to the Communications Regulator - ComReg, [broken link removed]

I'm forever hearing of people who are unhappy with some aspects of An Posts service and because there is no real alternative, they just get away it. If more people followed up on complaints, maybe they would be forced to examine their procedures

Thanks for those links. I have e mailed an post customer services and told them I was not accepting this as a verdict to my original claim when clearly the damage is their fault. Will have to wait and see what comes back from them......