Damage from ramp

Omega

I drove over an un-marked ramp last week and damaged the sump which now has a crack and has to be replaced. The ramp was being built at the time and there was no advance warning that it was there. Can I claim for the cost of the damage from the local council and if so, how would I go about it? It was dark at the time and almost impossible to see the obstacle until it was very close. Thanks for any replies.

First thing to do is take plenty of photos - the ramp, the surrounding area with lack of signage, the damage etc.

I personally am sick of the standard of speed ramps in this country...one ramp can clean your bumpers straight off and others are not so severe..but after half the day searchin i have located the vital legislation governing the installation, construction and positioning of these ramps..

If you feel that ramps near you do not conform to these standards please dont hesitate to make it known to your local council authority..

Quote:
1. Ramps shall be provided in the following manner:—

(1) There shall be a distance of at least 20 metres and not more than 200 metres between any two ramps on any roadway.

(2) Where a road has a gradient of more than 10 degrees, a ramp shall not be provided within 30 metres of the top of the gradient and the distance between any two ramps on the gradient shall not be greater than 70 metres.

(3) There shall be not less than two ramps on any roadway.

2. Where ramps are provided, they shall not be positioned—

( a ) so as to obstruct an entrance for vehicles to premises or land adjoining the road,

( b ) on or within 30 metres of a pedestrian crossing,

( c ) at or within 30 metres of a location on a roadway where a school warden operates,

( d ) on or within 30 metres of a bridge, tunnel, culvert or other structure over which the roadway passes,

( e ) under or within 30 metres of a structure over the roadway any part of which is 6.5 metres or less above the roadway,

( f ) at or within 8 metres of a junction or a 45° bend with an inner kerb radius of less than 50 metres,

( g ) within 200 metres of a traffic sign number 202 authorised by the Regulations of 1962 on the same road,

( h ) within 30 metres of a railway level crossing.

3. A ramp shall only be provided where its centre is within 5 metres of a street light.

4. Ramps shall not be provided on a roadway where the road concerned is—

( a ) a road in respect of which a speed limit exceeding 30 miles per hour applies,

( b ) a national road,

( c ) a dual carriageway, or

( d ) a road on which an omnibus service operates.

5. Each ramp shall—

( a ) be constructed of hot rolled asphalt,

( b ) extend across the width of the roadway between channels,

( c ) be 3.7 metres in length in the direction of the roadway,

( d ) have a maximum height at the centre above the road surface of 10 centimetres,

( e ) be properly secured so as to prevent movement, and

( f ) be painted with reflectorised white paint.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/plweb-cgi/fastweb?state_id=1196958389&view=ag-view&docrank=1&numhitsfound=2&query_rule=%28%28$qu ery1%29%3C%3DYEAR%3C%3D%28$query2%29%29%20AND%20%2 8%28$query3%29%29%3Alegtitle%20AND%20%28%28$query4 %29%29%3Anumber%20AND%20%28%28$query5%29%29%3Asect ionno%20%20AND%20%28%28$query0%29%29&query3=ramps& docid=18558&docdb=SIs&dbname=Acts&dbname=SIs&sorti ng=none&operator=and&TemplateName=predoc.tmpl&setC ookie=1

Back