Damage between signing and moving in

O

owenm

I just bought a second hand house and , we have paid 10% and now we are waiting for the sale to complete. I was driving past last week and the front living room window is broken. We have no idea how it happened.

My question is, how do we lean on the agent/vendor to fix this?

Hi Owen,
As the sale has not completed, and you have only paid the 10% deposit required at contracts stage, the property still belongs to the vendor.

It is the vendor's responsibility to ensure the upkeep of their home. If there is no resident in the property, a quick phone call to the agent to make them aware should suffice and they can then contact the vendor in order to ensure it is repaired.

HTH

Once contracts are signed, it is the Vendor who is responsible for any loss or damage to the property between contract stage and completion.

Snag lists don't occur in second hand houses but I recommend to clients that they do a pre closing inspection to make sure that everything is in order e.g. all old mouldy wardrobes removed. Otherwise you buy as is and in the hot market we currently have you'd be lucky to find a vendor who would fix something like a broken shower. Caveat emptor.

mf

Sorry - missed the point about it being a second hand house so the snag list does not apply as per mf's post.

Back