Dairygold Butter.....variations in taste.

I read somewhere that butter can taste a bit different, depending on time of year the cows were milked..

Ya the milk tastes different in the summer when cows are out on grass on a fine summer's days. That milk straight from the cow chilled is serious stuff city slickers wouldn't be able to handle the stuff.

Ya the milk tastes different in the summer when cows are out on grass on a fine summer's days. That milk straight from the cow chilled is serious stuff city slickers wouldn't be able to handle the stuff.

yea but that does not explain the deterioration in taste of dairygold, modern production techniques iron out all those factors to have a consistent tasting product, Dairygold is consistently bland now winter and summer.

Are you sure its the butter, it might be yourself maybe get yourself checked out you might have a thyroid problem.

Are you sure its the butter, it might be yourself maybe get yourself checked out you might have a thyroid problem.
No with Dairygold it is hit and miss. Sometimes you can purchase two tubs for €5. One can taste fine but the other can taste "off". We have even checked the batch number, one can be O.K. but not the other.
The product is too expensive to have to deal with this.

You could make your own spreadable butter :) Just mix softened real butter with some oil of your choice, if you like olive oil you could use that or whatever oil you fancy.

You could make your own spreadable butter :) Just mix softened real butter with some oil of your choice, if you like olive oil you could use that or whatever oil you fancy.

Or 5 secs at the lowest power setting in the microwave!

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and...at-s-really-in-your-block-of-butter-1.3705573

See, if it’s not real butter, eg Kerrygold or the Aldi butter, then it’s stuff with loads of ingredients, colourants, additives etc. with a fake taste.

yea i tried the aldi brand "kilkeely gold" or something, i have to say it was actually good but it was a bit more expensive then about 1.30euros, now it is 0.9euros or something but not nice anymore , so obviously they cheapened the product less butter and more gook. As I said the only one that passes the test is Dunnes "Gold spread"

If I am getting this right, the complaint is that spreads don't taste sufficiently like butter. Then why not buy butter?

Is it not like booking a tent for the holidays and then complaining about sleeping under canvass rather than in a good hotel? Except that, in the case of butter versus spread, there is relatively little cost difference.

Or am I missing something?

If I am getting this right, the complaint is that spreads don't taste sufficiently like butter.
No. It's about the variations in the taste of Dairygold butter spread. Sometimes it tastes as if it was tainted. The consistency is no longer there.

No. It's about the variations in the taste of Dairygold butter spread. Sometimes it tastes as if it was tainted. The consistency is no longer there.

Fair enough. Perhaps my confusion arise from the description "Dairygold butter spread". Dairygold is a "dairy spread". It is not butter or a "butter spread" and should not be marketed as such. In fairness, I don't think the producers do. The Food Safety Authority have set out criteria for the various terms :

https://www.fsai.ie/publications_GN_fat_spreads/

I've noticed that dairygold spread has deteriorated in taste compared to years ago. It's less buttery ,more like margarine in taste. Very disappointed in this product now its not worth the premium price

I've noticed that dairygold spread has deteriorated in taste compared to years ago. It's less buttery ,more like margarine in taste. Very disappointed in this product now its not worth the premium price
Well don't buy Dunnes Family Favourites Taste of Butter. I thought it would be like Dairygold... it's not... it falls off the knife in a clump.

I have been a regular user of Dairygold butter spread. In the past year or so I have noticed that the quality of the product can vary. Sometimes there is even a tainted taste from it.

Compared to similar products it is expensive. I am not sure if I want to support this hit and miss product anymore.

Is there a product that is very similar without the margarine taste?
Lidl do a butter & spreadable butter mimic of the dairgold range & are just fine. Not much cheaper but perfectly fine quality & consistent as far as I can see.

Hi Joe

Have you reported this to Dairygold Customer Care?

Brendan
No, just looking for confirmation on whether other people think the same. I think alot of brands slowly change their products hoping that people won't notice if they do it over a long period of time. Dairygold today and Dairygold a decade ago are 2 different products in my opinion

Lidl do a butter & spreadable butter mimic of the dairgold range & are just fine. Not much cheaper but perfectly fine quality & consistent as far as I can see.
Yes I've actually tried the Lidl one, the pricier one and yes it is very good, actually better than Dairygold now

Back