Dairy & Wheat Free Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathryn

Hi

I have been advised to put my daughter (3) on a Dairy 7 Wheat free diet . Any advice on where I might source foods? I've been to Tesco but can't find dairy free chocolate specifically choc buttons ( the only treat she ever looks for). Anyone know of website I could try? Have found one based in the UK but the prices off the wall!!

Thanks

Carob is a common chocolate alternative. It's horrible though in my opinion. Perhaps talk to your/her GP and the local Public Health Nurse. Aren't there also support groups for people who need such diets? Note the posting guideline about no medical discussions.

Dark chocolate is Dairy free although she might be too young to enjoy the taste. Carob is disgusting and doesn't taste anything like chocolate.

Alpro products can be found in most large supermarkets - milk, yoghurt, cream, custard. The fresh soya milk is nicer than UHT, same for the cream.

For butter you can use Pure, which is found in most Tescos, Superquinns and Supervalus and can also be used for baking.

There are a few types of soya ice cream. Swedish Glace is nice at first but has a funny aftertaste. HB do two types - Vanilla & Strawberry and Chocolate and they're both gorgeous. There's another brand beginning with B (can't remember the name) but it's very expensive and has the funny aftertaste.

Try Celtic dairy-free chocolate bars - should be available in Tesco or Superquinn. Not cheap, but do taste very like the real thing!

For ice-cream, try Swedish Glacé soya "ice cream", only available in Superquinn, or in Sainsbury's in Newry if you were nearby. I have seen HB soya ice cream on sale recently too.

Last edited:
As I mentioned above - if somebody (a medical professional I hope and not some sort of quack?) has recommended a wheat free diet then they should be the primary contact for advice on what to give her and where to source it. If the person in question is NOT a medical professional then please consult with a GP or Public Health Nurse etc. first.

In terms of bread, you can make spelt (spelt wrong?) bread - you should be able to get the flour (and pre-made loaves) from health food shops. They would probably be your best bet for many of the things you need. Beware of their advice as some of them are run by kooks in my experience. A nutritionist should be able to give you a balanced diet excluding wheat and dairy.

Many thanks to you all for your help.

Clubman; yes the diagnosis of autism & subsequent advice re diet were given by "professionals". However I have to add that I've got more practical , useful and helpful advice from this forum than from ALL the HSE professionals I have so far encountered.

Thanks again

Kathryn, just one piece of advise, a friend is coeliac so can't eat gluten products, but we do go 'Italian' occasionally in Cafe Bar Deli, as they do stock Spelt pasta. Just in case you are ever in town and need somewhere for a quick bite that you know will be ok for your daughter. I'm making an assumption that they will easily prepare a child size portion.
I've no affiliation with Cafe BAr Deli, aside from being a customer

Hi

I have been advised to put my daughter (3) on a Dairy 7 Wheat free diet . Any advice on where I might source foods? I've been to Tesco but can't find dairy free chocolate specifically choc buttons ( the only treat she ever looks for). Anyone know of website I could try? Have found one based in the UK but the prices off the wall!!

Thanks

The dairy is the easy one to stay off and once you are off dairy the smell of milk becomes nausating, its the wheat that can prove difficult as its added to a lot of processed foods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back