Daikin altherma air to water-who have it installed

mob83

Hi,at the stage of new build that we have to decide on heating system,have been looking into the daikin altherma air to water system,has anyone on the forum got the same system and would you recommend it?? what are the electricity bills like? i've heard of high bills and some people who are extremely happy with it,its hard to know,all information much appreciated , thanks

Don't have one, but I think there are a few reasons for high electricity bills.It's been installed or commissioned poorly, matched up to normal rads, or installed in a house that's not well insulated or airtight.

Most important step you can make first is to reduce the heating demand by not only insulating your house highly, but also taking air-tightness measures. New Part L is much stricter and will require you do this anyway. This way you will require less in the way of heat and any system you choose will work more efficiently, providing it is installed and commissioned properly. Some good posts on here on the importance or insulation and air-tightness and the effect they can have on the success of such systems.

I'm at the planning stage myself and heat source is a big nightmare. I plan to insulate as much as possible, probably use a 250mm full blown cavity and make things as airtight as possible. Then I reckon I won't need so much to heat the house.I will have a stove, debating on boiler or none boiler. My head is fried with other heat systems, like heat pumps. I may in the end go for LPG and Solar, or just air to water heat pump. I need to work out if I have such a low heat demand will LPG be a good choice,given the high cost of heat pump installation.hmmmm

hi gooner,yeah im insulating as good as i can spendind extra cash on it -keep telling myself it'll be worth it in the end,i'm going with underfloor heating upstairs and downstairs but dont want to run it off an oil burner and cant afford the geothermal, decisions decisions!!! i know the air to water systems are fairly newish and maybe not fully tried and tested but have to make a decision ASAP.