Daffodil Day

Ron Burgundy

Friday March 24th is Daffodil Day, the main fundraising event of the Irish Cancer Society. The money raised goes directly to ensuring that those affected by cancer, and their families receive expert nursing care free of charge.

Sellers are all over the streets of towns all over the country, there are stick on ones for your jacket or you can buy a bunch of daffodils, today is the main day of national fundraising by the Irish Cancer Society. If you want any further information or would like to do some fundraising have a look at www.cancer.ie . Lets face it everybody knows someone effected by the cancer
frown.gif

Ron.

Being accosted by literally dozens of pushy schoolkids selling crap like this is a sure way to turn people off any charity. :mad:

Before I'm accused of being insensitive my father and several of his side of the family suffered and died from cancer.

How else can the Irish Cancer Society highlight this hugely important and worthwhile nursing service to those who need it most. As for those schoolkids selling this 'crap'...... my children raised alot of money in the past selling the daffodils in the school car park, all of which were donated by parents who grew them in their gardens. A noble and decent act by parents and kids alike. So there Clubman!!! This is just the kind of thing that our young generation need to do.

Whether you (or others) like it or not many people are turned off various charities by on the street hard sell tactics.

ClubMan said:
Whether you (or others) like it or not many people are turned off various charities by on the street hard sell tactics.

some fool pushing a cilp board in your face asking you to sign up to x amount a month is one thing ( i hate that too)

buying a daffodil for the irish cancer society is another. hey clubman, ever thought hmmmmmm, its a worthy charity, i'll buy a daffodil and wear it and show i support the irish cancer society and guess what.......

the kids won't go near you when they see you have already given, is that not just common sense :confused:

btw clubman, any other suggestions on how the Irish Cancer Society could go about raising funds ??? annoying clip boards perhaps !!!!!

Ron Burgundy said:
btw clubman, any other suggestions on how the Irish Cancer Society could go about raising funds ??? annoying clip boards perhaps !!!!!
Yes - they would ask for donations and leave the decision up to individuals instead of using kids to hassle them on the street. I have a lot of time for the ICS not least of all because they were instrumental in providing home nursing care for my terminally ill father. I don't see that as any reason not to engage in fair comment/criticism of their fundraising techniques (which are also used by other charities).

i do see where you are coming from clubman, but its one day of the year, concern get up my nose 5 days a week asking me " have a minute", not just them but the ones in the blue jacket, the white jacket, the yellow jacket etc...........

Ok Clubman,so when did you,(or the rest of us for that matter) last make a donation to The Irish cancer Society without having to be asked or shamed into helping ??

Hi Clubman, Its a little harsh to describe the daffodil as "crap". I think they should change it for something else. I buy whatever they have every year but I give the daffodil to my wife to wear as I dont feel right wearing a yellow flower.

Am I the only one who finds it a little distasteful that such critical services as those provided by the ICS are being funded by charitable donations? Shouldn't these services be publically funded and be available as a basic right?

Rainy Day, For the same reasons as to why there are only two public toilets in the whole of A&E in the Mater Casualty .... Money not being spent where it is most needed!

ophelia said:
Ok Clubman,so when did you,(or the rest of us for that matter) last make a donation to The Irish cancer Society without having to be asked or shamed into helping ??
I don't donate to any charity because I feel ashamed. I donate because I decide to and believe that they are a good/deserving cause with constructive policies.

ClubMan said:
using kids to hassle them on the street.

Over all the past daffodil days that I can remember, I have never been hassled on the street by a kid selling daffodils. It is the only charity where the sellers seem conent NOT to hassle people and let them purchase a daffodil if they want to.

I would be surprised if I was the only one getting hassled every 20 yards between O'Connell Street and Mary Street last Friday.

It seems, Clubman, that your experience of daffodil sellers is unfortunately, quite different from mine.

I agree with Clubmans basic point

I wasn't in town on Friday, but yesterday I walked from Nassau Street to Talbot Street via O'Connell Street and back to Nassau Street. At least fifteen people tried to stop me in order for me to part with cash/dd.

These kids put you off giving to charity.

Past30

I always find that DAffodil day is one of the best fundraising schemes. In our town at least it is all people you know selling the daffodils and they are sitting at tables scattered throughout the town and it is up to the members of the public to approach these tables and no one tries to push them on you. I hate charities that use lottery tickets and clipboards but the ones with flowers or the tea/coffee mornings I much prefer as they are not pushy and you have a choice to give and also receive a lovely bunch of daffodils for the house! Well done to all the collectors who braved the torrential rain BTW!

Back