DAB Radio

MandaC

Does anyone know if DAB radio is in Kildare. I bought a DAB radio for the kitchen and can get no stations on it.

dont mean to hijack your thread but if there's a website anyone knows of that you can type in your townland and find out if dab is available there it would be handy

That map is quite hard to make out. Anyway no stations, so looks like a waste of €100 for the moment anyway. Ah well, will just listen to the couple of fm stations I can get.

Is DAB still only a trial service here in Ireland? Or is that just RTE?

DAB is for real, and uses same kit as in the UK. It's not a trial, but it's not available generally yet. Don't get excited though, it's mainly a mechanism for getting more stations onto less frequency space. While digital, there's quite a bit of compression involved and it doesn't always sound so good when heard on headphones or a HiFi. Mainly, there's the convenience of station names and track info.

DTT (Digital Terrestrial Television) is still being tested and don't buy anything until it's launched. Existing UK DTT equipment will not work with the new Irish DTT system when it goes live as the Irish system will use a newer technology.

Thanks for posting that - so have I wasted €100 quid then? I can get the FM stations (not a great reception).

When I did a search for stations, there were some 2xm or something like that, but it would not come in for me.

If you don't get good FM, you won't get good DAB. They're both coming from the same transmitter and use VHF frequencies. To get good DAB, you need very good FM.

Work on getting a better FM signal and then you might also get DAB.

Thanks, dont know how to do that though. Think thats the end of me and the DAB radio.

Someone is getting a Pure Elite radio for Xmas. Think my Dad might listen to the Sport! One present down.