DAA to operate Terminal 2 at Dublin Airport

tiger

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0310/daa.html
The real concern for me though is:
The Minister said he had hoped to have a competition for the operation of the new terminal, but none of the rival candidates met the minimum requirements.
If the competition was properly structured, advertised etc. then I can't imagine that people like BAA & other european operators would not have been interested.
So was this a fix for DAA or is the minister/dept of transport incompetent?

Once the DAA were allowed to build the terminal, they were always going to be allowed to operate it. No operator would come in to operate a terminal that cost so much to build, with passenger numbers falling and with doubts about what airlines actually want to use the terminal.
Once again the Department of Transport covers itself in glory.

Whats your rationale for this statement?
The statement that "none of the rival candidates met the minimum requirements" makes me wonder:
a) who were the rival candidates
b) what were the minimum requirements
If none of the big operators were present, then you have to wonder how was it advertised.
If they were, but didn't meet the minimum requirements then you have to wonder how was the competition structured and what were these minimum requirements.

The statement that "none of the rival candidates met the minimum requirements" makes me wonder:
a) who were the rival candidates
b) what were the minimum requirements
If none of the big operators were present, then you have to wonder how was it advertised.
If they were, but didn't meet the minimum requirements then you have to wonder how was the competition structured and what were these minimum requirements.

I'm sure the information you seek is available under FOI. DAA is a public body and sure they operate pursuant to public tendering rules. Indeed a quick google search confirms that this project was openly tendered and advertised.

[broken link removed]

then I can't imagine that people like BAA & other european operators would not have been interested.
So was this a fix for DAA or is the minister/dept of transport incompetent?

Perhaps it is a simple economic question that money could be made easier elsewhere. Dublin Airport passengers numbers are falling, we are in one of the worst recessions in the EU if not whole world and you would have to deal with Ryanair :p

Back