Home D15 / Clonsilla Buildings sum insured:

K

KazDub

I got a quote from our home insurance providers recently of €760. This is for a 4 bed, semi-d house in Dublin 15. I've spoken to a few people in work here and they say that there's an error on my policy based around the 'buildings sum insured' cost. The cost quoted on my renewal is €363,495. Bear in mind this is a bog standard semi-d. No extensions, no garage, no extra rooms, no conversions.
Now, the bit that's causing me problems is trying to (a)figure out if this cost is correct and (b)rectifying it if not.
I found a link to the Institute of Chartered Surveyors rebuild costs for 2009 and, going by their figured for a 4 bed semi in Dublin, the rebuild cost should be around €226,060.
I have no idea of the size of my house, but going by the details they have there most houses of that size are about 1270 sq/ft.
Before I was aware of any of this I phoned the insurance company and the best that they could do was to bring down the renewal to €633.
If there's anyone reading this who has a four bed semi in the Dublin 15 / Clonsilla area, can you give me a rough idea of what kind of costs you are paying for your home insurance and confirm that the 1270 sq/ft size is correct.
This just seems like crazy money to have to pay!
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Why don't you measure your house to get the size of it. Then calculate the rebuild cost using the SCS figures. You could also check some of the building costs from the likes of Davis Langdon PKS or the Bruce Shaw handbooks.
Ring the insurance company and tell them what the rebuild cost is based on your research.
Also when you have those calculations shop around.

1300 sq/ft seems like a larger 3 bed than a 4 bed. Though they often make 4 beds out of larger 3 bed semi's. Recently got a couple of valuations done on 3 bed semi's about 1200/1300 sq/ft and it was about 300k/350k. That said it all depends where you are in D.15 and the condition of the house. These were in good area but quite dated.

Why don't you measure your house to get the size of it.
I know that this probably falls under the 'stupid question' category, but here it goes.
How do you measure your house? Is it the physical external dimensions, (LxWxH), is it just the footprint or is it on a room by room basis, including the atic?