Cyprus - is it expensive

abbie

Thing of heading to Cyprus in July and was just wondering is it expensive to eat out/tours/buy clothes etc. over there - the exchange rate is so bad - is there any justificaation in the costs - any advice greatly accepted.

Abbie,
I am heading there on Friday for a week so will post when I return - am hearing mixed reports about costs. Its horrible exchanging euros for pounds - for 500 euro only got about 280 pounds. Hope I get value for money. Got excellent deal in flights and accommodation €540 each; Pierre Anne hotel 3*, breakfast & lunch included, sea view and hotel is on the beach (Ayia Napa).

Hmmm,
Excuse my ignorance,was thinking of going to Cyprus this summer as well.I assumed you could euros!

You probably can but they will exchange the euro to cypriot pounds before you purchase.

Drinks would be around £1 to £2, although there are plenty of specials.
Food would average from £15 for 2 at the Pizza hut to £40 for a nice restaurant.
If your looking for cheap clothles try and go accross the border to the Turkish part where its much cheaper.

---
If you want to know anything specific about prices then just ask!

Thanks Lorrie, I would really appreciate all the info. you can give me when you come back - enjoy!!

there is a lovely chinese in paphos called the imperial in kato paphos...also fat(big) mama's can't remember the correct name on the coral bay road also in paphos...great food and loads of it

Cyprus is expensive compared to other holiday resorts but would be a little cheaper or the same as Ireland for drinks etc

In a word YES its expensive. Am only decking now as I look at receipts as to how expensive it was.
Wasn't happy on the trip at all - hotel was not what was expected. (Insects biting at night!)
£2.50 to HIRE a remote control or fridge or kettle per DAY - approx 5 euro.
Bottle water about £1 - you could get a pint of Keo local beer for about £1.35 but in a bar next door you could be charged double. It was all down to where you went. £1.30 for cup coffee (tiny) We were in Ayia Napa. Certain theme type bars were very dear - quieter ones had special deals on - buy one get one free..
Meal - Fillet Steak about £8 (16 euro approx.)
Minimum taxi fare £4. If you use your phone switch to Areeba network apparently only 10c per text. Souvenirs are very dear. Tea towels not too bad. Other bits and pieces which I would have bought in Spain before were treble in price.
Afraid I won't be heading back! Lanzarote FAR cheaper.

Thanks for the info. lorrie - with the exchange rate alone I'm sorry I booked Cyprus - well, it is only for a week - good job it's not two or I'd have to re-mortgage the house!

Back