Cyclists 2 or 3 abreast.

peno

This may not be the appropriate forum maybe letting off steam more appropriate but I'll start here.

At the weekend I came across what I think is a rather dangerous situation and I’d like others peoples views as to whether I am over reacting or not.

Firstly let me say that I am a cyclist myself and try to cycle to work at least 3 times a week so I am very sympathetic to cyclists and the stuff we have to endure from inconsiderate and dangerous motorists. However what I saw yesterday left me dumbfounded.

I was driving along a 2 lane road plus cycle lane. There were a few cyclists (about 6 or 7) out in what seemed like an organised cycle. I came up to 3 at one stage and instead of them being in single file they were 2 or 3 abreast which to me seems extremely dangerous. There was a lot of traffic on the road and it was difficult for me to over take them as cars were overtaking me in the outside lane. I nthe end I had to wait for a gap in the outside lane to move out a little and overtake them. I beeped the horn (as did someone behind me) to show my feelings. All 3 cyclists then threw their arms up in the air gesturing that they were in the right and I was in the wrong and should have made room for them.

Cycle lanes are there to protect cyclists and I think we should have more of them but when they are used like this I understand how motorists get so frustrated with cyclists.

What are people’s views on this? Is anyone a member of a cycle club that can comment on this? Do clubs tell there members to behave responsibly on the road.

This is common for groups of cyclists. Whoever is right or wrong the cyclist will come out the worst in an accident and cycling three abreast is just asking for trouble.
...and yes, I do cycle regularly.

My understanding of this without double checking is:

A) A where is there is a cycle lane it must be used. I know someone who got a ticked for not using it on the Stillorgan dual carriageway AKA the N11.

B)It is illegal to cycle more than two abreast, and you can only do so when it is safe.

Now to find that copy of the new rules of the road...

Towger

The double check came up this this:

Cycle tracks

A cycle track or lane is a reserved part of a roadway for bicycles (not motorcycles) and can be either:
• mandatory, or
• non-mandatory.

A mandatory cycle track is bordered by a continuous white line on the righthand side. It is only for bicycles and motorised wheelchairs, so no other drivers may use it or park in it.

A non-mandatory cycle track has a broken white line on the right-hand side. The cyclist may leave this type of cycle track if:
• they have already indicated they want to change direction,
• a bus is letting passengers on or off at a bus stop located beside the track, or
• a vehicle is parked in the track while loading or unloading.

Mandatory cycle tracks are reserved 24 hours a day, unless an upright information sign at the start of and/or the side of the track shows another period of time.

A cycle track can also be a reserved part of a footpath or other area off the road.

A cyclist must use a cycle track if it is provided.

If a cycle track is two-way, meaning bicycles travelling in opposite directions at the same time can use it, cyclists should stay as near as possible to the left-hand side of their track.

You must obey cycle track lights.

------------------------

Two abreast

Do cycle in single file if cycling beside another person would endanger, inconvenience or block other traffic or pedestrians.

Don't ever cycle side-by-side with more than one cyclist.

Do cycle in single file in heavy traffic.

Peno - I dont suppose this was just outside Navan at about 11am on Sunday morning?
About 50 cyclists taking up the road with a queue of about 20 cars behind, some cars made dangerous overtaking actions to get around them.
Horns beeping - arms gesturing!

They have a death wish

I cycle three miles to/from the train station every day - I am always careful and would be wary of overtaking another cyclist on the road - never mind cycle three, four, five abreast!

I come across this regularly along the Grand Canal in Dublin where the lanes are very narrow.
Also, even more dangerously, cyclists often pull out of the cycle lane to overtake another cyclist without checking behind them, thus forcing me into the oncoming lane to make way.
As Purple said if there is an accident the person on the bike will be seriously injured so why they take these risks is beyond me.

even more dangerously, cyclists often pull out of the cycle lane to overtake another cyclist without checking behind them, thus forcing me into the oncoming lane to make way.

Agreed.

This is why when I do cycle I may stay behind someone who is holding me up and making me cycle a lot slower than I wish until it is safe for me to pass.

Maybe it takes people to both cycle and drive regulary to become competent at each.

I got stuck behind cyclists 3 abreast on Saturday morning. They also cycled almost in the middle of the road rather than towards the edge so it took a while before it was safe to pass them.

It's common sense (and a legal requirement) for motorists to drive with due regard for the safety of cyclists - and I realise that many don't.

But equally, at least half of the cyclists I see don't care either - weaving all over the place, suddenly entering the road via a pavement, lack of handsignals and no lights/reflective clothing etc seem to be the main problems.

I like to think I'm always aware of cyclists but the reality is, if anything should happen, you can be pretty sure that all fingers will point to the motorist.

These issues seem to have arisen at the weekend.

I think that cars should be severely restricted at some times over the weekend on some routes to allow people to cycle safely in groups.

It is safe to cycle two abreast most of the time. Cars have to wait to overtake, just like they have to wait to overtake a slow car or wait in traffic.

I have been out on the Dublin Cycling Campaign Friday evening cycles around Dublin and we cycled in big groups. We were not restricted by the Gardai, but that may because it was treated like a protest. I suppose pickets are not supposed to walk along the road carrying placards either.

I am not clear about mandatory and non mandatory cycle lanes. I love using them and most of them are great. But some are in very poor condition, so the road is safer. There are often cars parked in them and very often pedestrians.

Back