Cycle carriers and roof boxes on ferry

Hamilton

I will be travelling via ferry to the U.K in June and will be bringing a car. Just wondering are there any regulations regarding the types of cycle carriers or roof boxes that the various ferry companies will allow on board. The cycle carrier will carry at least 3 bikes. I haven't bought one yet.

I don't think any of the ferries have height restrictions that would pose a problem (after all, they do take trucks). They do like to know in advance what height your vehicle will be, as some of the decks will not accommodate high loads on cars, and that would affect loading arrangements.

Go to the ferry company's website and try out the booking procedure, and you will find that you are asked for the length and height category of the vehicle.

They might refuse a vehicle that looks unsafe, but I am sure that you will be careful enough to avoid that.

I will be travelling via ferry to the U.K in June and will be bringing a car. Just wondering are there any regulations regarding the types of cycle carriers or roof boxes that the various ferry companies will allow on board. The cycle carrier will carry at least 3 bikes. I haven't bought one yet.

Go to Halfords who sell and fit bike racks. Their staff will have the answer.

Go to Halfords who sell and fit bike racks. Their staff will have the answer.

Why would Halford's staff be the best place to go to inquire about the ferry companies' policies? Surely the ferry company would be your best bet. From experience, some Halford's staff I've encountered aren't too well up to speed on their own stock.

very easy - simulate your booking and you will have your answer - ferries usually charges extra for bikes around EUR 30 each way for a bike carrier, don't know about roof boxes as we never have one

When you enter the car details on the ferry booking site, it specifies the height including the roof box.

A bike carrier attached to the rear of the car, rather than the roof, would remove any uncertainty regarding height.

I may be wrong, but I always have the impression that they're much safer as well.

There will be a number of options on the booking - from memory on Stena Line I think it's car below 1.9m, over 1.9m, etc. so select the correct one and you'll get the price. It's not so much of an issue except that a) there is a height limit on the vomit comet Stena Lynx from Rosslare and you may not be able to use the "side" exit on the conventional ferry at Fishguard if you have an MPV/4x4 with bikes on the top.

To be honest it's not so much the ferry you should be worried about but low car parks! Stick a postit on the steering wheel to remind you!

Can't go wrong with Thule, BTW.

SSE

Back