Cutting unkempt meadows

extopia

Any advice on how to deal with a couple of acres of meadow that haven't been cut in about 10 years? Don't want to turn into a lawn as such but would like to get the grass down to about four or five inches and cut it a couple of times a year. Like to let the wild meadow flowers grow in the spring and summer!

It's pretty straggly land with a lot of rushes. I don't have an agricultural tractor and topper at my disposal.

What kind of equipment would I need (a) to tame the wilderness, and (b) to maintain it at the level described above?

Thanks.

Hmm. Would that be good enough? Any recommendations as to make, model, horsepower?

extopia said:
Hmm. Would that be good enough? Any recommendations as to make, model, horsepower?

Hi Extopia,

This post by Oirish (who I think has a landscaping bs.) might help. Its from this thread. There are some others

Thanks for the links - it's just that I'm not convinced a lawn tractor or ride-on would be strong enough for the initial cut. We're talking about nearly a decade of growth here, with lots of reed clumps!

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of "lawn"

Hello there extopia.
I had a question like this on my site recently.

Long grass and a rotary just don't go together.
You will spend half the day unclogging the mower.
There are two machines however which are suitable.

1. The brushcutter. This is basically a strimmer with a metal cutting blade instead of cord.
Its great on tough grass, ivy and brambles.
It will, of course, sometimes get tangled like a stimmer.

2. The pedestrian finger bar mower. You may have seen a larger version of this machine working on a farm.
The cross-cut blades make short work of long grass, thistles etc.
You just have to keep a watchful eye out for rocks which can damage the bar.

Both of these machines should be available from the larger hire shops.
Using both of these machines in long grass, I suggest cutting from the middle of the site out wards.
This will allow hiding wildlife to escape.
Try and use these machines during a dry day as the grass will be much easier cut.
You will of course have to rake the mowings off to achieve a really clean look, if theat is what you desire.
Hope this helps.

couple of acres ticking over in Dublin - I'd suggest a high rise apartment development with underground carparking and a drive through McD's

Seriously though, if you're far enough out that the above isnt happening then surely theres a farmer in the general area who would cut the field for you or who would have stock to graze it for you. Free grazing might suit everyone. It would also thin things out for later cutting.

I'm in a similar situation (though in the back of beyonds where no go for high density housing ) and our medows are grazed by a distant relations cattle. I spray (when I get time) for briars, nettles, docks etc with a knapsack sprayer, to keep the place in good fettle.

Thanks for the replies. I got a local farmer to cut the main area, then finished off the edges and awkward areas with a brushcutter and strimmer (thanks for the tip Irish Garden). Might be able to go the ride-on route next year.

Grazing isn't really an option I want to pursue for various reasons.

The site is far from Dublin, unfortunately

By the way, Irish Garden, great site! I'll be checking it out in detail.