cutting out concrete wall

coleen

I am having two doors cut out of the gable wall in my house one in each bedroom and i am trying to get the job done with at least mess possible I am going to cover over built in wardrobes with plastic sealin them as well as i can will it be ok to leave the wardrobes full and cover over doors with plastic and masking tape, is masking tape ok for the job will it remove paint from ceiling will dust get into wardrobes has anyone had a job like this done

Don't use normal masking tape on walls/ceilings as it will strip the paint from the wall when removed instead use decorators low tack masking tape you should be able to buy this in your local diy store.
No matter how prepared or careful you are the dust will get everywhere as it will be in the air and falling for a while so just keep the house aired as much as possible seal rooms that are not in use to save them from exposure cover as much furniture with dust sheets ect..

Good Luck

yes yes may be no yes

If you had taken the time to decrypt the original post, you will have noticed that this one sentence post contains 5 questions.

1- will it be ok to leave the wardrobes full
2- is masking tape ok for the job
3- will it remove paint from ceiling
4- will dust get into wardrobes
5- has anyone had a job like this done

Hense my post (1-yes 2-yes 3-may be 4-no 5-yes) which answers all of the questions AND respect the style the OP is familiar with ... LOL

Hi Coleen
Masonry dust, the bane of this work. You might laugh but we use vaseline to good effect. Place all soft furnishings, including curtains, in one room then seal it off. We seal off drawers and cupboards with a generous application of Vaseline to closing edges. As far as possible cover surfaces with polythene sheeting. Low tack masking tape is a good idea. But a large tub of vaseline is cheaper than a lot of rolls of masking tape. The vaseine also means you have access when you want it without having to change the tape every time. Vaseline traps the dust to good effect and its just a case of wiping it off when tidying up.Masonry dust is extremely fine and will travel on the slightest draught. If you can create a path for it to travel, then seal the rest of the house the cleaning should be confined to a managable area.Cover all your ceiling lights, remove the bulbs to ensure nothing gets melted by accident. Remove wll hangings/pictures, plants or anyting that might be difficult to clean. Place these in your sealed room. Lay a doormat at this door incase you need something whilst the job progresses.Unfortunately mess is a by-product with the job. Speak to your contractor. We use wet-cut when possible, but sometimes it's just not practical. Discuss this option with him.
More importantly don't stress about the mess. It is a once off thing and worth it once the job is done. Otherwise you would not have thought of doing it in the first place. Prepare the area well to minimise the disruption in advance, accept it, communicate your wishes and concirns to your contractor. Good luck with your project.

thanks for all advice job taking place as i type but i am not there covered everthing possible contractor is going to use small tank of water to make it lightly wet cut so as to cut down in dust but he says mess is to be expected not goint to use full wet cut as it would have too much water cant wait to go home from work tonight but on a positive i baged lots of things i forgot i owned some for the skip some for the charity shop so eventually we get back to normal thanks all