cutting grass

Just the One

What do people do when they have cut their lawn? Where do you dump the grass. As far as I know, you are not supposed to put it in the bin.
If you live in an estate this proves to be a problem I reckon.

buy a mulching mower?
buy a recycle bin?
bring it to baleally recycling [old tip head off blakes cross]

oirish said:
buy a mulching mower?
buy a recycle bin?
bring it to baleally recycling [old tip head off blakes cross]

I have a green bin [recycling] but they don't take green waste

sorry - the one that you dont put out to be collected - the one for 'compost' making?!!

personally i have 3/4 acre and it would be lu-la to not use a mulching mower for me!

Just the One said:
What do people do when they have cut their lawn? Where do you dump the grass. As far as I know, you are not supposed to put it in the bin.
If you live in an estate this proves to be a problem I reckon.

Put in the compost heap, but if in case it turns slimey (from [broken link removed])...

Why has my heap turned slimy?
The main culprit for slimy compost is grass. Don't add too much grass clippings to your compost heap. Ideally, mow the lawn regularly and leave the grass clippings on the lawn. They will be re-absorbed into the soil and feed the fresh grass growth.

Alternatively, make cardboard mould: make a stack of thin layers of grass clippings alternating with flat cardboard. Leave this to compost, turn once the cardboard has gone very soft, and use as a peat substitute.

We have a grass/foliage recycling centre beside us in Lucan. €5 for a car load and you take as much compost away as you like.

Just the One said:
As far as I know, you are not supposed to put it in the bin.

I have never heard of anybody not being allowed to put their grass cuttings in their regular bin. It is not the most preferable thing to do with grass cuttings but it certainly is an option.

I tend to compost mine or else I throw it in behind some bushes I have at the end of my garden.

brodiebabe said:
I have never heard of anybody not being allowed to put their grass cuttings in their regular bin. It is not the most preferable thing to do with grass cuttings but it certainly is an option.

there are bins now for green waste, garden waste and other waste.

I know Fingal are doing a pilot with brown bins, which are for compostable waste - Lawn mowings, garden clippings, vegetable peelings, etc. I don't know how soon it will be rolled out, assuming it is, or whether any other areas are introducing this.

Why has my heap turned slimy?
Tip for anyone wanting put grass in their compost bin, "empty your lawnmower near compost bin and spread grass out over a small area and let it wilt for a few days before you put it in bin", it wont go slimey,

I was doing that. The only problem is when it rains the day after you spread it out.

I dump mine over the back wall and the herd of cows who live in the fieldd come legging it over (you should hear the noise its like thunder) result is no grass and happy cows!! they are building on that field next year so i may have to get a compost heap myself!

MOO