Cutting a floorboard laid on floor

DangerMouse

Hi, I'm just wondering is it possible to take about 2 inches off the side of a solid floor plank along the length of the plank without lifting the plank. What type of a saw would be best for this and would it be possible to do it and get a very good straight cut?

Why do you want to do this? It could be safely done with a biscuit jointer; an experienced chippie could probably do it with a standard circular saw but it's dangerous as there's a risk of kickback. You could also hire a plunging circular saw for the same task...

Hi Carpenter, thanks a lot for the reply. The reason I need to do it is because I have a solid wood floor which finishes onto tiles. It is finished by making a reducer out of one of the floor planks by cutting at an angle down into it. This lies perpendicular to the rest of the floor and the other floor boards finish into the tounge of this board. Hence I can't lift it. Basically now I want to tile the other floor beside it and bring it to the same level. This means trimming back the reduced part of the board back to the full height.

How exactly does the biscuit jointer work in this case, as I understand this cuts a small biscuit shape out of the timber. Can it be used to cut along a board?

Most biscuit jointers can be used to trim timber up to 22mm or so in depth by extending the depth of cut to its maximum. There are usually two studs or spikes that can be retracted or removed to allow the jointer to be slid along to make a continuous cut. A biscuit jointer is effectively a very small circular saw with a plunging action. Careful planning and use of a straight batten as a guide should yield good results...