Customs holding onto gold coins

argolis

Customs holding onto my gold coins

Hi,

I ordered some gold coins (Eagles, Maples and Philharmonics) from Kitco a week or two ago. On Monday morning I got a call from the Assay Office, who were notified by customs, asking for my VAT number and advising that there'd be customs and/or VAT due on the coins and they'd have to be hallmarked :confused:.

I said that I was under the impression that gold coins were not liable for customs duty and I've checked this on the TARIC website linked from the Revenue website ([broken link removed]). They appear to be covered by TARIC code 7118900010. When I put Canada as the country of origin, it reports 0% duty due.

As for VAT, I was also under the impression that they're not liable for it under EU Gold Directive (98/80/EC), although I'm now not certain that this doesn't refer to buying from within the EU ONLY and because they're coming from outside the EU, they may be liable. The Directive doesn't explicitly mention 3rd countries though.

I would call Revenue but answers tend to vary with the person who answers. Going into at least the 4th day of customs holding my coins and I'm beginning to wonder what they're at. Has anyone done the same and confirm if I have to pay either VAT or duty?

Thanks! :)

Back