Customs from uk question

johnwilliams

Looking to get a small item from a private seller in UK (not a normal retailer) so wondering what documents etc should they include in package for customs (they would not be familiar with requirements?) Would something just printed up on a4 paper stating value do ?

How much is the value of a small item?

If they go into a post office, they will have to fill in a simple enough form.

Brendan

Not sure price yet .he has to figure out cost to make it and come back to me on it .
Peemac thought that €45 exemption had been reduced to zero last year no ?

For small items coming from GB, where the sender is unwilling or unable to complete the customs paperwork, I ask the sender to post to these guys: https://www.oohpod.com/ Their main depot is just off the M1, about 400 metres inside Co Armagh. Last item I got posted there was a £5 part for my lawnmower.

tlo
i am a bit confused how does customs work with them or do i have to go to armagh to collect item?
limerick is a bit of a trip to armagh

Brendan person in UK like me not familiar with custom issues so what you are saying is royal mail will give him form for detail and they will put detail on parcel
Peemac do you have link to royal mail version of that taric code page

Hi John

Ideally, the sender goes in to the Post Office, in the UK, and completes the customs form. The problem I've found is that not all senders are willing or able to do this correctly.

With OOHpod in Armagh, there is no need for a customs form to be filled out. As far as the UK's Post Office and Royal Mail are concerned, the item is sent internally within the United Kingdom and the issue of customs doesn't arise. The recipient (you) takes responsibility for collecting the item, and transporting it across the border into Co Louth and onwards. This is a fudge from a customs perspective courtesy of Brexit, the Northern Ireland Protocol, and the Windsor Framework.

Another possibility for British based senders who find form filling challenging, is that you subscribe to An Post's Addresspal service, https://addresspal.anpost.ie . With Addresspal, the sender posts the item to An Post's depot in Hertfordshire. An Post will send you a link that facilitates payment of the customs charges, and after these are paid, An Post delivers the item to your home address, in your case, in Limerick. Saves travelling to Armagh, and the item is "properly imported" with all charges paid.

Hope this helps.

Unforutnately, a lot of small British businesses don't realise that we are in a different country. I had a similar issue with such a retailer last year for something less then £100 in value. He didn't have a clue what to do and I ended up googling it, sending him the links, telling him what to fill out etc. Got it eventually but took around 2 months.

Another possibility for British based senders who find form filling challenging, is that you subscribe to An Post's Addresspal service, https://addresspal.anpost.ie . With Addresspal, the sender posts the item to An Post's depot in Hertfordshire. An Post will send you a link that facilitates payment of the customs charges, and after these are paid, An Post delivers the item to your home address, in your case, in Limerick. Saves travelling to Armagh, and the item is "properly imported" with all charges paid.
I use addresspal for any items I buy from Britain.

I use addresspal for any items I buy from Britain.
Paying UK vat and then paying Irish vat on top of the UK vat inclusive price.

Unless it's something you really need and price is not important, it's best avoided

Not sure price yet .he has to figure out cost to make it and come back to me on it .
Peemac thought that €45 exemption had been reduced to zero last year no ?
The €45 exemption is for personal items sent by a member of the public to someone here.
It has to be stated as a gift with total value not exceeding €45 (£39 sending to the UK)

Back