customer wont pay up for goods and services

nediaaa

Hi, I recently supplied materials (value approx 3000) and labour. I got a deposit of 3000 and am owed 3000. The customer is saying the work is shoddy and wont pay the outstanding E3000. I pride myself in the quality of my work and believe the customer never had any intention of paying.
I think the goods are mine legally until paid for in full. I would appreciate any advice on the matter. I do not want to go down the route of solicitors because it will drag out for months.

You could remind them that by law if they are not happy with their purchase, they can return the goods and are entitled to a full refund.
If they keep them, they have to pay the price agreed.

Put that in a letter, make it sound official and let them know that you are serious about it and will otherwise engage in legal proceedings. You may not have any other route but hopefully this step will be enough.

I am no expert in the matter: I don't know the nature of the goods and I am talking about consumer rights i am aware of btw!

I think the goods are mine legally until paid for in full. I would appreciate any advice on the matter.

Not generally the case, only where you have a specific retention of title clause in your Terms & Conditions/ Contract, otherwise, the title to the goods pass to the buyer and your only option is to enforce the contractual debt through the normal legal debt collection procedures.

In any event, even if there is a retention of title clause and the goods remain your property there remains a very serious practical difficulty in recovering those goods, as you do not have a legal right to enter somebody's dwelling or workplace to enforce that clause and take back the goods. If you attempt to do so you may well find yourself on the end of a civil legal action alleging trespass and perhaps other damage to the property and possibly even criminal proceedings.

I do not want to go down the route of solicitors because it will drag out for months.

If you want to have any chance of recovering the debt you have very little alternative. A solicitor will be able best placed to advise you on your rights and provide you with the maximum chance of recovering the debt. It may be more efficient and a lot quicker than you think.

If you attempt to do so you may well find yourself on the end of a civil legal action alleging trespass and perhaps other damage to the property and possibly even criminal proceedings.
I know of one case where the creditor a country businessman who did not believe in using the legal processes, called to a debtors house every day for a week. He ended up being charged with public order offences and getting sued for trespass.

Did you offer to look at his complaint and rectify his problems? He might just trying to get you to correct your shoddy work (in his eyes) and the best way to do this is to withhold outstanding money until the problem is solved.