Customer Service at BOI

3CC

I just visited my local friendly BOI branch. I tried to lodge a sterling cheque but they could not handle such an exotic transaction. They said I would have to post the cheque to my own brach by registered post as they have had problems loosing stuff in their internal post recently!

My other business there was to enquire about the interest beating current account that they wrote to me about. It turns out that in order to avail of this offer, they want me to bring in my passport and proof of address to the branch, notwithstanding that I have had an account with BOI for the last 20 years.

Luckily I had my drivers licence with me and the letter that they just sent me about the offer but apparently BOI do not trust their own correspondence with me as a proof of my address.

Even if I do finally get past all this red tape, the offer is only on the first €1500 and end in Feb 2008. Max benefit is €50.

I wish they had just told me that in the letter and saved me the trip.

DM

It turns out that in order to avail of this offer, they want me to bring in my passport and proof of address to the branch

It always annoys me when I hear something like this. The Bank is expected to request these to confirm your identity to meet anti money laundering legislation. They don't do it just to be awkward.

notwithstanding that I have had an account with BOI for the last 20 years.

This means nothing. How exactly did you expect to prove you are the same person who opened the 20 year old account without ID? Based on knowing your address? Or you name?

Have you ever heard of identity theft? Or money laundering? I'd be more concerned if they DIDN'T ask for these forms of identification...

When I got my Mother to hand in my application form to register for interest to go onto my existing BOI Current a/c -they wanted a photocopy of a utility bill and they didnt want to accept a letter from the vhi (semi state body). The clerk then checked my account and then said 'ah grand' and didnt bother copying the letter from the vhi or taking a photocopy of my driving license. They can and will turn a blind eye on a whim.

Back