Custom fit golf clubs or more lessons

I got a set of GENEX clubs a year or two ago & they have made a huge difference (better) to my game. The woods are like "rescue clubs" and are very easy to use both off the Tee box & the fairway.

The irons are "filled-in" at the cavity and are easy to use & make sweet contact with the ball.

They are only supplied from 5 iron to pitching wedge (no sand iron).

In other words you would use a 3/4 or 5 wood instead of a 3 or 4 iron.
The 6 & 7 woods are excellent for hitting shots out of the rough into the green.

Definitely agree with pitch and putt being good for the short game.
Before I took up 'the long game' I played pitch and putt for years and it has definitely stood to me especially around the greens. Practice your chipping from different ranges into the green and try not to 3 putt lol

This is the way I play and it will help to get your h'cap down. You may know all of this but I'll share it with you anyway !

1. You need to hit the ball straight off the tee. Use 3 wood on tight holes if driver is not consistent.
2. Eliminate 3 putts. Pace/speed is very important on greens. if you havent got time to practice putting before starting your round take putts for speed on the first few holes as you leave the green. You don't have to aim at the hole to do this.
3. Also take your punishment when you get in trouble. Get it out on the fairway and then put it on the green. (accept bogey and eliminate double bogey)
4. Be a good iron player - you should always be able to hit the green with 8 iron or less i.e. 8 - sw.
5. In general aim for the middle off the green especially with irons less than 9.
Don't aim at pins on left and right of green. if you miss a green on the right when the pin is on the right you are screwed. Always aim at 'centre of green' side of the pin.
Anywhere on the green is better than off the green !
6. There are certain holes where you accept bogey - like index 1 or some holes against the wind. Lay up with 2nd shot. Hit 5 or 6 iron or whatever puts you in the fairway to ensure you stay out of trouble. Then put 3rd on green (p wedge) and maybe get the putt for par but 2 putts is good and bogey is acceptable. You have so many holes where you can accept bogey !
7. Also when playing to the green it is usually better to hit the yardage that takes you to the centre of the green. Trouble is usually front and short. i.e bunkers. When deciding on club I ask myself if unsure between 6 or 7 iron. Will the 6 put me over the green? If not that's the club unless pin is very near front of green.

You have to think your way round - there is a lot more to it than just hitting goods shots. It's how good your bad shots are that counts ! (VIP) You don't have to hit it miles - the most important thing is to hit it straight, keep out of trouble, get it on the green and 2 putts or less.

There is a proper way to play every hole. Where is the best place to play your shot to the green from ?
This is where you target your drive or 2nd shots on par 5's.
As you play holes review whether you should have played it differently or where you should have aimed the previous shot.
Never ever give up. If you have had a bad start use the round for practice. It's a game of stamina as well, particularly on the last 6 holes.

Grind out your score.
It's the score that counts at the end of the day.

Also see the pro - get a good pro that you are happy with and go back to him. Better if there are mirrors in the bay where he teaches so you can see what he wants you to do. it takes 5 to 6 weeks for lessons to really kick in. You can go through the horrors. Go back to the pro if no change after 4 weeks and go back every 8 weeks if you want to improve.

end of round analysis:
Fairways hit ?
Greens in reg ?
total putts - 32 or less is acceptable
% up and down from of the green ?

Good Luck

Hopefully not in strokeplay or stableford competitions as it isn't allowed!

You can't practice putt is if you are playing in the first 18 of a 36 hole scratch cup. Otherwise it is allowed.

It shouldn't delay play if you are smart about it.

Obviously you don't hold up the group behind so it is not always possible.