Cursor jumps mid-sentence whilst typing!

LouthLass

Firstly, please excuse my ignorance, I am not a 'techy' in any shape or form whatsoever!! I hope I can explain this correctly so someone may be able to help me.

I have a Compaq Persario C700 which I am very happy with apart from when I am typing, the cursor sometimes jumps to the middle of previously typed sentences which is very annoying, particularly when in mid-flow!! I am hoping this is just a simple problem that someone may be able to help me with - where am I going wrong??

Many thanks

While typing in what? MS Word, notepad, excel or anything?

If its a laptop it may have a small blue button thing in the middle of the keyboard that can be used to control the mouse. If there is one and you accidentally hit that it will jump the cursor around. That used to happen me with a laptop I had before and its really annoying....I ended up ripping out the button as I never used it for the mouse anyway.

Hi Flanders,

Typing on anything!! However, I have just discovered that button on top of the mousepad that disables it and (so far) I have managed to type this reply with no jumping!!!!! Hopefully that is the problem resolved, many many thanks for pointing me in the right direction:)

Kind regards

LL

Yeah, touchpads can be a bit of a problem, if you brush against them while typing it can make the cursor jump as the touchpad thinks you have selected that area of text. There may be a way to reduce the incidence without turning the touchpad off - look in Start--> Control Panel-->Mouse-->Tapping. There may be a click-box that says "tap off while typing" along with a slider for the delay before the tap on the mousepad becomes active again.

HTH.

I have the same problem but it has nothing to do with the mouse pad i am well adapted to typing far from the pad after years of laptop use..., and there is no joystick in the middle of the key board. any other suggestions?

I had the same problem with 2 laptops, both with touchpads, if your control panel doesnt have the synaptics drivers control panel (lot of base builds dont include it), download the relevant one for you OS from here [broken link removed]
and as alluded to above go to

device settings > settings > sensitivity > palm settings.

The PalmCheck™ feature guards against operating the TouchPad with accidental contact. PalmCheck allows the TouchPad to recognize when your palm is resting on it or brushing its surface while you are typing. This will help to prevent unwanted pointer movement or clicks.

If the TouchPad exhibits undesired pointer movement or clicks, increase the PalmCheck setting by moving the slider to the right toward Maximum. If the TouchPad misses intended motions or taps, decrease the PalmCheck setting by moving the slider to the left toward Minimum. You are more likely to experience missed motions or taps if the slider is in the red zone.

I've had that problem and the latest driver software made the pad far less sensitive.

Back