Cursor behaving oddly!

Marie

Hi! A few days ago I accidentally disconnected my P.C. without shutting down properly (from the screen) and when I reconnected the power it just 'hung' and could not be closed. It took hours to sort out. The system got further disruption through the cable to the monitor subsequently becoming loose as I "tried everything" as one does in a panic.

I've now got it up and running again BUT have to keep swinging the cordless mouse when placing the cursor to edit the document. Also when I highlight text for deletion it sometimes picks up the instruction, sometimes not.

Also with drop-down menus the mouse sometimes picks up the instruction but often it takes two or three attempts. I put new batteries in the mouse as part of the 'trouble-shooting' when the problems were showing. When I was 'trying everything' I pressed buttons along the front of the monitor which I don't know the purpose of (there's a 'Menu' which is for screen settings, brightness, contrast, 'Auto' and one with a toggle for '1' or '2' which appears to send the screen into hibernation).

I have adjusted the speed of 'mouse-click' on the Control Panel and it's OK.

Has anyone any idea how to resolve this (or what's happening?) It is really annoying and time-consuming.

Cursor behaving oddly!!!

.........I have done a defragment and cleared off all old files and done every kind of clear-up possible in case that could be contributing to the 'sticky cursor'. There's no evidence of any kind of virus and I run anti-v software and firewall.

Re: Cursor behaving oddly!!!

Did you try replacing the batteries in the cordless mouse?

Also did you ensure that there is a clear line of sight between the mouse and the receiver, as sometimes this can affect the mouse...

Cursor behaving oddly!!!

I put new batteries in cordless, transmitter a few inches away. The worry is when I click 'Save' or any other command I now can't be sure the instruction has transmitted. It's slowing down work and making everything unpredictable.

Am going to see if reinstalling Windows will make a difference (but it's clutching at straws!)

Re: Cursor behaving oddly!!!

Something similar happened to me a couple of years ago...the hard drive was goosed and had to be replaced.
Hope it's not that!

Have you tried a corded (USB or PS2 connected) mouse to see if that works OK? Does anything else other than mouse movements cause problems?

Hello Clubman! Since original post I did a "system restore" to 1st January. it notified that the system had suffered a major trauma. As well as the "system restore", compressing all old files, deleting old temporary internet files and defragmenting system the cursor now seems back to normal.......PHEW!!! What a worry! I shall now be more diligent about 'backing-up' stuff (at least till the shock wears off).

Many thanks to everyone for the help.

it notified that the system had suffered a major trauma.
What precisely do you mean by "major trauma"? What specific error/information message appeared?

Sounds to me more like something along the lines of a driver configuration or component corruption than anything else.

Hi ClubMan! I inadvertently shut the power off at the socket when turning off a table-lamp. As it could not be 'closed down' properly from the screen shutdown I had to just plug straight in. The first time it booted itself up and I got the screen I had been working on which had several programmes running including Word XP but the cursor would not move; the mouse did not appear to be activating it. However it was 'locked' and hanging........nothing moved. THEN the saver-screen kicked in, THEN the system went into 'hibernate'.

After trying everything I could think of (including Control/Alt/Delete and every possible combination of F toggles) I then had to shut off power at the socket again. Several times I switched on and tried to get Cont/Alt/Delete in before the 'hibernate' mode but this happened within a few seconds of switching on power.

As part of the 'troubleshoot' I did all the usual things including replacing batteries in the mouse in case that was contributing. I belatedly found that the connecting cable to the monitor was loose. When this was put back properly I got the screen back.

However the problem with the mouse/cursor continued.

'The system has experienced a major ******' message (which I used the word trauma for, as that's what it meant!) appeared when I went to Control Panel and commenced a "System Restore" procedure.

'The system has experienced a major ******' message (which I used the word trauma for, as that's what it meant!) appeared when I went to Control Panel and commenced a "System Restore" procedure.
I have no idea what the asterisks stand for but I don't recognise that as a standard Windows error message.

You are absolutely right ClubMan.........it isn't a 'standard' message. The box appeared very briefly as I was struggling with other procedures. It offers to send a report to Microsoft. I am not really interested in 'techn-speak'. Technology is there for my creative and communicative activities not an end in itself and I (like most people, I should think!) 'blank out' much of it, as indeed I 'blank out' all the advertising popups etc. which appear at internet log-in.

I sorted out the difficulty created by accidentally 'crashing' my P.C. system by accidentally shutting off the power.

Many thanks for your help and interest!

I am not really interested in 'techn-speak'. Technology is there for my creative and communicative activities not an end in itself and I (like most people, I should think!) 'blank out' much of it
Unfortunately to keep a PC running generally requires that you pay attention to at least some of the "tech speak" error messages etc.
as indeed I 'blank out' all the advertising popups etc. which appear at internet log-in.
If you are getting advertising popups etc. then it sounds to me like your PC could well be infected with malware/adware or somerhing like that. This could mean that your PC's security is compromised in some way.

If you don't understand/like tech speak then perhaps you should get professional help to keep your PC updated, running and clean?

'The system has experienced a major ******' message
Now what six letter word that beings with "f" and ends with "up" that could describe some of microsofts software I wonder.

Anyway just by unplugging power you should not end up with no mouse cursor or a totally malfunctioning one.
Sometimes it is the only way to stop a windows system.
Saying that it is not the recommended way to shut down any computer.

You could have lost driver or got it corrupted I suppose.
Something to watch out for is System Restore does not backup or restore user data so beware you can lose your documents if not careful.