Current public sentiment towards the housing market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also daft dont have all houses for sale .There are a lot of estate agents in each area who dont use daft or dont show full inventory!

I posted previously about a house for sale near me (Churchtown/Dundrum) since May asking price all summer was 685,000.
Now reduced to 650,000 (can't find the link just at the mo)

Anyway - that's 35,000 drop in a popular area.

And I thought September would see a flood of property buyers to the market?

Flood of houses to the market more like - with not so many buyers perhaps? I know of 2 other houses coming onto the market for sale in the next few weeks in this area.

No doubt about it, sentiment has changed since earlier this summer.

No doubt about it, sentiment has changed since earlier this summer.

I think you're correct - sentiment really has changed considerably IMO.
I've seen a lot of evidence of falling asking prices in Dundrum, the most severe is a 20% drop

Original Listing €1,200,00

New Listing €950,000 - Reduced by €250,000 (20.8%)
[broken link removed]=

I think a lot of people may have been impressed by the statistics bandied about in Spring with regard to price increases up to 12%!! When they came to sell they upped their price, by this and more, and have subsequently been given a rude awakening!

Statistics in this area are always skewed IMO. For example a house in my area sold for 2.43M which was over 1M beyond it's AMV (AMV was right IMO). This and others like it, has to affect the statistical analysis with regard to Dublin prices! Nevertheless, it is almost guaranteed that the houses surrounding the one above, if selling, will put them on the market at this price. They WILL NOT SELL. This was an anomaly.

Whathome, if prices decrease dramatically, who do you think will win out...the FTB or the Investor waiting to snap up a bargain? What do you imagine will happen to prices close to the city if everyone holds off on buying in the satellite towns? BTW thought you had dipped out of this thread? Addiction too strong?

I don't see it in terms of winners and losers.

I always drop by here when looking at myhome - we thought our selling/buying saga had ended but it has dragged on .... again. Another buyer backed out, probably reading this thread!

I don't see it in terms of winners and losers.

I always drop by here when looking at myhome - we thought our selling/buying saga had ended but it has dragged on .... again. Another buyer backed out,

Sorry to hear that, hold the head and the nerve till September if you can!

whathome said:
probably reading this thread!

Probably are!!! Did yer Mammy never tell ye what side yer supposed to be on when yer selling?

Inventory Rising. Properties usually sell off slowly during the summer rather than build up - this summer is very unusual - and the new season property hasn't even hit the market yet. There are nearly twice the number of homes for sale in Lucan now than there were April this year. Not picking on Lucan for any particular reason - it's a fine area with plenty of nice houses IMO.

Myhome had 86 homes for sale in Lucan on 19th April 2006:

Today Myhome has 164 homes for sale in Lucan:
[broken link removed]

(Search has to be split, there are so many that they exceed the myhome search limit of 150).

I wouldn't panic yet. Are you sure you're comparing like with like? Both HOK and Sherry Fitzgerald have joined MyHome in the recent past. I'm sure the site's takeover by the Irish Times will cause a few more to follow suit.

I wouldn't panic yet. Are you sure you're comparing like with like? Both HOK and Sherry Fitzgerald have joined MyHome in the recent past. I'm sure the site's takeover by the Irish Times will cause a few more to follow suit.

It is definitely like with like. You're wrong about HOK and Sherry Fitz, they've been with MyHome since it was established in 2001.

It is definitely like with like. You're wrong about HOK and Sherry Fitz, they've been with MyHome since it was established in 2001.

I could be, I got the info from this thread!!!

I knew Hooke &McDonald were on it but I didn't think HOK Residential advertised there. Are you sure Sherry Fitzgerald Back of Balivor etc. weren't on it but main Dublin branch was not? Just want to clarify, wouldn't want to spread wrong info.

I think you might be confusing MyHome with Daft. All the of the players have been on MyHome for years. SherryFitz, Gunne and DNG set up myhome originally with AIB. HOK used it from day 1 also.

A doubling of inventory is very significant...points to a weaker market moving forward IMO.

164 up from 86 in four months is a huge jump in the number of homes for sale in one area. And it's not just Lucan, it's happening in most areas of Dublin.

I stand corrected.

A doubling of inventory is troubling I agree. I wonder why people don't bide their time in an area that has a lot up for sale. I appreciate that some have to move quickly. Then again, there's a lot I don't understand like why do some people on this thread put down their own area...it's like shooting yourself in the foot!

Anyone read Kathy Sheridan's article "Suburbs Full of Empty Promise" in today's Irish Times (features section)?

Brilliant article. A real insight into the miserable lives of commuters in Co. Meath and planning corruption.

I don't have a membership to ireland.com, but perhaps someone who does would be kind enough to copy and paste it to AAM?

Here's the link for members:
[broken link removed]

Actually I'm more stunned by the original asking price than the substantially reduced asking price. Were they (EA) for real?? Just goes to show how ludicrous the property market had gone.
Insane is the only word for it.

I went to see these last year...beautiful apartments without a doubt. 1250 sq.ft...doubtful! 1.2M...get a grip!

Actually I'm more stunned by the original asking price than the substantially reduced asking price. Were they (EA) for real?? Just goes to show how ludicrous the property market had gone.
Insane is the only word for it.

Agreed - similar price drop in our development - 1.2 million to 995,000. Again, though, the original price was outrageous

Status
Not open for further replies.