Current EBS free banking experience

Ndiddy

Thinking of going for 2 individual N26 accounts and a free joint EBS account. The plan is to have DD that aren't variable go thorough EBS like mortgage and other more changeable charges go through N26.

Are there any current users of the EBS account who can share their experience? I understand there is no app, but that should be fine as long as there is online banking. All other utilities, insurance, etc that get changed yearly will go through our individual N26 accounts.

So far very happy with N26, the only issue is that they do not have a joint account option.

Going to do the same, albeit using a CC for day to day spending.

Just completed the process, all went to plan. The whole process is on paper / codes via the post, which I guess is no surprise. Online offering is basic but contrary to some feedback, you can add/save payees online, you can also save non-Irish payees which is handy for Revolut/N26 (unlike AIB I believe).

The only thing missing is the ability to setup DDs online (this doesn't apply to Standing Orders which are the same for any other bank). I'm going to see how it goes, if I find this hybrid approach doesn't work, will go elsewhere, but no real complaints so far.

The only thing missing is the ability to setup DDs online
How do you set up a DD online with any bank? It's the DD originator (e.g. a utility provider) that sets up the DD. Or do you mean maintaing the DD, e.g. cancelling it?

(Sorry, maybe I'm missing something really obvious and I just need more coffee)

Thinking of going for 2 individual N26 accounts and a free joint EBS account.

Would it not be a lot easier to open a joint account with AIB or Bank of Ireland or even ptsb?

One account, very simple.

Of course, if you want separate accounts, then that is fine.

Brendan

RedOnion is, as usual, on the money. EBS provides customers with an IBAN, which can be quoted to the likes of utility providers thus enabling the set up of Direct Debits. Works perfectly.

EBS customers need to interact with the EBS Helpdesk when setting up Standing Orders, these can't be set up entirely online.
Setting up payees, in other words, organisations to whom you wish to send online bank transfers, also needs interaction with the EBS Helpdesk.

I use a combination of EBS and Revolut for my banking needs. This is what I like about the EBS and it's current account offering:

1) Free. No account maintenance charges.
2) Branch network. Handy for lodging cash or cheques.
3) Telephone Support. I've found it very efficient, rarely if ever have to wait in a queue.
4) My local branches never seem to have a queue.

Things to be aware of with EBS:

1) Euro only. No foreign exchange facilities. Revolut comes in handy here.
2) Online access only possible on a desktop or a laptop. No app access on mobiles.
3) Separate mobile apps are used for authenticating online access, and for authenticating online card transactions. Having said that, I prefer Revolut for online card transactions as user controls are better.

Got the terminology backwards. Standing Orders, eg to transfer a set amount to say your N26 or Revolut account, I've found you cannot do online. Setting up a Direct Debit, eg with your gas provider, I expect is no different to any other bank, after you complete the mandate.

Would it not be a lot easier to open a joint account with AIB or Bank of Ireland or even ptsb?

One account, very simple.

Of course, if you want separate accounts, then that is fine.

Brendan
No particular advantage in our case. We already put all spend through CCs, so all our current a/c needs to do is accept salaries and handle DDs.

When you say no FX, can you expand? If someone from the UK transfers 20 GBP to you what happens?

Supposing I am renting a private apartment in Spain. If the renter gives me their IBAN account number, can I send a payment from my account in the EBS to the renters overseas account?

When you say no FX, can you expand? If someone from the UK transfers 20 GBP to you what happens?
EBS won't accept it. It will be returned to the sender.

This is where Revolut comes in handy. If I'm receiving GBP, say £20, I'll ask the sender to remit to the UK sort code/account number attached to my Revolut card. Upon receipt I'll convert the GBP to EUR. Then I'll send the EUR from my Revolut card to my EBS current account.

Supposing I am renting a private apartment in Spain. If the renter gives me their IBAN account number, can I send a payment from my account in the EBS to the renters overseas account?
Yes. EUR to EUR so no problem. You'll need to set the Spanish payee up online, then ring the EBS Helpdesk to verify it. Once the payee is set up you just go online and make the payments.

Yes. EUR to EUR so no problem. You'll need to set the Spanish payee up online, then ring the EBS Helpdesk to verify it. Once the payee is set up you just go online and make the payments
Can this be done manually in a branch without internet banking?

Yes. EUR to EUR so no problem. You'll need to set the Spanish payee up online, then ring the EBS Helpdesk to verify it. Once the payee is set up you just go online and make the payments.
I've just setup international payees with EBS, without any need for the helpdesk's involvement.

EBS online banking is functional but clunky. Apart from there being no app there is not even a mobile optimised version, which means that you need to do a lot of zooming in and out when using it on a small screen. Creating mobile versions for websites or even apps isn't that complicated or expensive if the basic infrastructure is already in place so I wonder why EBS isn't doing it. Perhaps AIB as the owner worries about cannibalising it's customer base.