Current budget wont solve our woes

pinkyBear

Hi all, from what I understand from news reports over the weekend is that our spending next year is set to increase by 5bn. This means the budget cuts this year will not solve our deficit, it will however stableize it... What does this mean for the 2011 budget!!!
P

Another €4-5 billion will have to be found. And in 2012.

So really this budget is only the start! We are in for the long haul here!! Apologies for the silly questions however people liken this recession to the 80's, would I be wrong in saying it is worse?

P

Suggestion: Mobilise all unemployed people to pan for gold in Wicklow, Connemara and Donegal over the summer months (note spatial strategy in action). All gold found is state owned. At a price of $1500 to an ounce we'd only need to find half a tonne to plug the hole.

2012: Diamonds.

Decentralisation will never be dead. This might help the construction industry find a use for all the abandoned properties left behind.

With everyone travelling N for the shopping they could also poach gold from the Sperrin mountains too, only a small detour.

time to dust off the old metal detectors then... grow yer own veg and search google for survivalist websites...

So really this budget is only the start! We are in for the long haul here!! Apologies for the silly questions however people liken this recession to the 80's, would I be wrong in saying it is worse?

P

I think I know what you mean, and agree that there's worse to come - but have we forgotten the last 2-3 budgets already? This one is hardly the start!

I think I know what you mean, and agree that there's worse to come - but have we forgotten the last 2-3 budgets already? This one is hardly the start!

I have noticed this in other threads as well. People seem to have forgotten how tough last years two budgets were. People have this amazing capacity to adapt and adjust to changed circumstances.

Hi there,
I have to say I notice it! We have knocked holidays on the head, we can no longer afford to save (fixed mortgage)...

The main reason for the increase in spending is social welfare payments. Therefore, until unemployment starts to fall and fall significantly, we will still be in the mire. Speaking as an ex-emigrant, I hate to say it, but I can't see unemployment falling until emigration kicks off in a major way, both for non-nationals returning home and for Irish people going over seas.

Decentralisation may be the key to ending cross border shopping. Decentralise every public sector service to Cork & Kerry i.e. move them as far as possible from the border, thus making it unviable for them to travel, if this works for the public sector, then move everybody else to Cork & Kerry, and close down the part of country left behind.