Current BT campaign and "rude" Irish Placenames

ajapale

It cannot have escaped peoples attention that BT are basing an advertising campaign around Irish Placenames that appear rude to English speakers who have no undersanding of the orign of such placenames.

I imagine that the ad agencies are hoping for some kind of a "Joe Duffy" style backlash thus giving their product/service some credibility.

I suggest that this British company should sort out its billing system before jeering at centuries old gaelic/irish place names.

And of course places like Chipping Munstington on the Willow sound so sensible...

I imagine that the ad agencies are hoping for some kind of a "Joe Duffy" style backlash thus giving their product/service some credibility.
I doubt that. I've never had a problem with their bills but my experience may not be typical. If I lived in Muff I'd be compelled to set up a Diving club, of which I'd be President .

The placename 'Muff' occurs in more than one place, perhaps least fortuitously in the address "Muff, Nobber".

There's an address in Nobber called Muff Crescent! I wonder if there is a 69 Muff Cresent??

Last edited:
The placename 'Muff' occurs in more than one place, perhaps least fortuitously in the address "Muff, Nobber".

Indeed - I once knew a girl called Ina Hoare from Muff, in Nobber - a most unfortunate combination.

People used to think she had tourettes when she was giving her name and address!

It must be near whoretown (spelling?) which is in south Wexford.

Horetown or Hoaretown - Hoare is a surname from the Wexford area (see my previous post re Ina - her father was from Wexford)

Horetown or Hoaretown - Hoare is a surname from the Wexford area (see my previous post re Ina - her father was from Wexford)

lol anyone been to Beaverstown lately ?

My personal favourite in unfortunate place names is the decision by the the German multinational Siemens to site a facility in Staines. Who would want to answer the phones there?