Cuba

shaking

Anyone been? Going for 10 days in November planning on spending 3 nights in Havana, 5 in Varadero and 2 undecided as yet! Anyone got any reommendations for place to see, stay etc.

Trinidad is v nice - do a search on virtualtourist for lots of recommendations but I'd imagine that Trinidad is your best bet considering the time you have left over. It all depends on what you're into - Varadero wouldn't be to my taste for e.g. Havana is really interesting. The food isn't great in Cuba but if you eat in people's houses, it's much better.

Sprite

Did Cuba for my honeymoon.

I really enjoyed it and would go back again tomorrow, but please expect it to look like something from the 40s, especially the rural areas.

Havana is a fantastic and vibrant city, but is very rundown. But the people are great. Really friendly. Wander down a few side streets and have a few drinks in the local bars. Shouldn't be too hard to find music playing somewhere.

As for Varadero - the hotels and beach are all 5 star, but there is very little to do outside of your hotel, bar going on a boat trip, dive, or dolphin swimming.

I hope you enjoy yourself and that the hurricanes are all gone by the time you get there.

Thanks for the replies do you think varadero for 5 nights is a bad idea then? We're looking for somewhere to chill out for a few days before we head home, do you reckon there's a better option?

Well there are beaches near Trinidad, but not like Varadero (from what I know of it). Not knowing you it's hard to advise but I figure with Varadero, you could be anywhere (but that may be just what you need if you want a bit of luxury). Why don't you play it by ear and head from Havana to Trinidad and then see how you feel? It may be that Trinidad meets all your needs for relaxation.

Have a read through [broken link removed] and see if anything grabs your fancy, although having flicked through it myself just now, you may feel the need to extend your holiday!

Sprite

Varadero is like spain... but with a 10hr flight. It is good to relax there but you could be anywhere in the world.

I would recommend Santa Clara for at least a day. You can visit Che's grave/memorial and it is a nice little place. We stayed in a really nice Casa particular which Che frequented on ocassions!

As WaterSprite has said eating in peoples house's , Casa particulars, is defo the way to go. They cook you really nice fresh food. Any restaurant we ate in were not a patch on the Casa particulars food.