Cuba

T

topman

I'm considering going on a holiday to Cuban. Want to hear from people who have been there... what is there to do in Havana etc and the rest of the country

Yes of course I ment Cuba. .. work and all that I wrote it quickly without thinking to much. so any suggestions

Re: Cuban

I am thinking of going in April also for about 10 nights. Normally I travel independently but I think if you are going for a short time then a package might be the best bet. I have quotes ranging from 1200 to 1800. Air France do flights via Charles De Galle for about 679 I think
I have spoken to a few peoplw who have been before who said that it is fairly easy to travel round independently, the cost for tourists to travel on public transport there is more expensive than for locals.You must have 3 nights accomodation booked before you arrive and have proof of same.

Thanks shilling. I do/ have travelled mostly on my own. I find it to be more interesting, you don't have to be wondering what to do next or be looking over your shoulder. Have you heard of any good beaches etc

I forgot to mention, I don't like package holidays.

I went to Cuba 2 years ago on holiday and I would recommend it to anybody.

The first thing is if you go to a travel agent you will probably be lumped with an all exclusive holiday in somewhere like Varadero which while is quite lovely you will not see the real Cuba or the real people. Personally i think it would be a waste travelling to such a beautiful country and staying at a resort. But if you are looking for a lovely beach, plan on spending a night or two in Varadero but no longer. Do a bit of research, use Lonely Planet, use Google and you will not be long making up your own itinerary.

We stayed in Havana for the first three nights and it was the case 2 years ago (and probably still is) that you had to have the first 3 nights booked for immigration. We hired a car for 7 days and toured around Vinales, Trinidad, Matanzas and Varadero for one night and then returned to Havana for the last couple of days. If you want to see the whole island you will need 2 weeks on the road (outside your time in Havana).

Plan on staying 3/4 days in Havana minimum as it is really worth seeing; a lot of old architecture and loads of museums. Another must is Vinales out in the west; at least 2 days - scenary is stunning and Trindad in the south middle of the island; at least 2 days also.

A few downisdes though, food is pretty poor in general throughout the island even at the resorts. In the main tourist spots, particulary Havana and Trinidad, there is a big problem with begging. The roads are not in a great condition and are quite poorly sign-posted; don't let that put you off hiring a car; just allow plenty of time to get from A to B. If you are finding it difficult to find your way somewhere, pick up hitch-hikers (perfectly safe and a way of life in Cuba) and they are always eager to help show the way and are glad to get a lift at the same time.

Avoid in July-October; the summer is far too hot and is also the peak season when most expensive. Also August-October is prone to hurricannes. We went at the begiining of May and even then it was fairly hot.

We flew with Air France who where excellent; alternatively fly with Iberia who from what I hear are not really that good.

You need to obtain a tourist card before departure; there is a Cuban consulate just off Adelaide Road in Dublin (exact address on Dept of Foreign Affairs website) who will provide this; I went along in person and they processed it immediately (I am not sure if you need to attend in person) you will need to bring airline tickets for this. You can fill in your accommodation address at a later stage. It cost €22 two years ago. I think that you can get the tourist card from travel agents either but I am not sure.

hi, I have been several times. I love the place as does my wife. Independant travel is no problem, just allow for more time to get to where you want to go. You can fly out of Heathrow also. From memory you can get the ntry visa by post once you have tickets. We ahve never booked the 3 nights before we left home, but I do think it is wiser especially for the first night there. We have travelled all over the island. We did not hire a car, but it woul d make it easier. My brother and his girlfriend did and had no problems whatsoever. We stay at the family casas (as they say there) private family run guest houses where they ahve to pay tax whether they have guests or not. You can also book your meals there, breakfast, dinner and here you get a decent meal, resonably priced. Have to be pre-booked as they need to go out to shop a the food is pretty scarce to buy. Family casas as resonable and good in our experience. We would love to go back again soon....
optimistic