Crystal Ski holidays

Rufus

Just curious to know if anyone has booked with these before? Their prices seem pretty competitive, I have gone with Inghams before who I found pretty good.
Any comments appreciated!

thanks,

rufus,
travelled in a large group with crystal about 3 years ago to France - their service was fine - no better no worse than expected (have been away with panorama before and they were rubbish - at least this crew know something about skiing) - the thing that gets me is the long transfer (invariably with a pointless stop in some hellhole (service station, tiny town with single loo etc.) and constant babble to buy lift passes, torchlit evenings, group drinks sessions etc. while imprisoned on same transfer - oh yes, and the ridiculously early start to the day of return (we left les arcs 7 hours before our flight - for a car journey that would have taken 2 at the most)

.... but Crystal do what it says on the packet - get you there, find your accom and get you home without any thought on your part so be happy about that

... advice would be to book the holiday and nothing else from them though - lessons, lift passes, excursions etc. can all be purchased cheaper at the resort with a little research ...

where are you going?

enjoy!

Thanks doogo,
I'm thinking of heading to Meribel in France (some friends are already booked in there), the whole set up sounds a bit different to other resorts with Chalets making up a bigger proportion of the accomodation. Unfortunately the "good price" Crystal showed on the original search didn't include transfers, taxes occupancy supplement etc.. this all added about €150 per person making them too expensive in my book.
I'm only interested in getting there and then away without hassle, I've no interest in attanding their events or tours etc. Whatever we need to ask we generally do it on the bus on the way to the hotel.

I've been to Westendorf and St Anton previously, great facilities and good food in both I must say. Westendorf seemed to be a cheaper to eat out and drink in though.

I agree with your recommendation to just book holiday with tour operator, ski's in particular can be much cheaper when hired locally. I'd also advise going into the shop with a big group and negotiating a group discount, well worth it!

Went with them last year to Meribel. No complaints and the price was reasonable but I wouldn't bother using a package for ski holidays again. Why bother with tour operators at all? Cheap scheduled flights from Ryan Air, Aer Lingus and the rest mean that the price advantage of packages (using low cost charters) is pretty much gone. You can pick and choose every aspect of your holiday, often it can be better value because you can squeeze in extra days skiing or by going completely self-catering.

Hi,
A few friends of mine are going to Meribel in January and they have a spot free in their apartment. The charter flights are full but I am considering trying to make my own way there. Can anyone recommend the best flights/airline to take to get to Meribel. I don't mind getting trains but I don't want to pay a fortune either. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Dino

Darag,
As you have been ther, can you tell me where "Brides les Bains" is in the valley? Is it far from the main town and is it difficult to get to main town from there? The place I'm looking at is near gondola in Brides les Bains.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rufus, sorry, to be honest I don't remember what it looked like - I don't think we ever got near it - it's down the mountain connected by Gondola to Meribel from what I recall but I heard it's quite a big place in it's own right?

We were on the opposite side of Meribel (up the mountain) in the Rond Point area. While part of Meribel itself, it doesn't say much as the village is very spread out - you definitely wouldn't be inclined to walk to the center from where we were. If you're into it, check out a great apre-ski place called The Rond Point Bar. It's on the piste on the way back into Meribel (and presumably Brides les Bains) and opens 5-7. You ski into it on your way home and it's great fun with live music and jammed with people dancing on tables in ski boots swinging mugs of beer. After it closes at 7, you get to join a semi-pissed/singing mob skiing in the semi-darkness down home.

Note that although they are destinct villages, you're in the Trois Vallee which is almost like a conurbation of ski villages. Everywhere is linked up - you can ski to Courcheval or Val Thorens quickly.

A slight downside for me is the fact that the area is dominated by the English; don't get me wrong - I like the English but it means the experience isn't very "French". I prefer ski places with a more mixed composition of nationalities.

Back