Crunchy Mussels

T

Teabag

You know when you are eating large mussels and you bite into them and your teeth sometimes cut through hard crunchy bits - what exactly are those crunchy bits ??

My theory is that because mussles are filter feeders, that the crunchy bits are bits of sand or grit but thats a guess. It can be offputting.

oh jaysus....hence why i dont eat anything which has its digestive tract intact when it gets to my plate!!

but sloggi... weill you eat burgers or sausages, or other substances that contain what was IN the digestive tract???

sun_sparks said:
but sloggi... weill you eat burgers or sausages, or other substances that contain what was IN the digestive tract???

to be honest my major issue is that i love my meat but dont like to eat anything that resembles the critter when it was alive. dont even want to think of the whole burger thing...my hangover McDs might be on the way out too as a result of your post sun sparks!!!!!

Teabag said:
You know when you are eating large mussels and you bite into them and your teeth sometimes cut through hard crunchy bits - what exactly are those crunchy bits ??

Yep - it's sand or grit - just can be from not actually washing the shellfish properly, hence why it ends up in the bottom of sauces etc... a pet hate of Gordan Ramsays!

They could be little pearls then ? Doesn't an oyster first need a bit of sand before it can make a pearl - the sand grain forms the nucleus of the pearl.