Crumlin Beside Shopping centre

M

marky1

Does anybody know anything about the Old County Glen area in Crumlin, Its across the road from the shopping centre.Seems really nice at a first glance when you go in.Does anybody know what sort of people live there ( young/old) and whats pubs etc..would be around there.If you have any info it would be gret help.thanks a mil

Try ringing Sundrive Rd. garda station and they might give you info.

Its very handy for plenty of buses on Crumlin Rd., Luas about a 15 minute walk and the shopping centre is handy enough but not great really. Dunnes could do with getting their act together with all the different shops.

Would recommend taking a trip around at night time because not too sure about loitering teenagers.

Marky, I live right beside where you're talking about and am very happy. It is exactly what i expected from the area. Good bus service into the city and walkable when the weather is nice. Although the Dunnes and Tesco there arent particularly nice, there's a lovely superquinn down the road. There are a few unsavoury dudes around the area but they do tend to stick to their own which is fine with me. Kids are harmless and have never given any hassle. Do what the previous poster said, visit the area several times and see what you think.

Hi Marky 1,

I agree with the last poster, it's actually a good area. Can look a bit rough round the edges but the people are really friendly and it's so handy in to town. I cycle to work and it takes me 10-15 mins to get into the city centre. As well as SuperQuinn, you also have an organic butchers, delicatessen and posh wine shops just across the canal on the way to the Rialto Luas. Handy onto the M50 and Phoenix Park...
I'll stop now,you'd think I was an estate agent...

The shopping centre is due to be redeveloped. As leases end, they are not being renewed so that is why there are so many empty shops in the centre.

That said, no specific plans have been drawn up for it but is zoned commercial.

the viper thinks its a fabulous area to live and die in.

i believe the chap you refer to lives in kimmage or up that way.

old county is a grand area, shearys is a grand local, or stoneboat. close to town. ordinary decent folk for neighbours. go for it i would say

No The Viper lives in Crumlin, Captains Rd to be exact.

Crumlin is a huge area and the estate agents have been calling parts of it Kimmage for some time now. Dont believe them!

Crumlin is a huge area and the estate agents have been calling parts of it Kimmage for some time now. Dont believe them!

The Viper doesn't live on Captains Road, but your'e close, and it doesn't matter whether the estate agents call the area Kimmage or Crumlin, (most Dubliners don't know where Kimmage is anyway, and it used only be worth 40 quid on monopoly ) the most important thing is your neighbours, who hangs out on the road, and traffic / amenities etc.
So loitering with intent, and talking to the guards, is the best approach.

I agree with this. Spend time in the area, talk to the guards, suss out the neighbours? I know exactly where you're talking about though and it seems very quiet....only thing is that it's close to the road and the ambulances can be quite noisy.......

Have a walk around there between 9.30 p.m. and 12.30 a.m. any night Thursday to Sunday.
Stand at a bus stop on Crumlin Road near the Shopping Centre for 30 minutes and see what it is like..
Walk Old Country Road in the dark late at night.
Have a discreet word with a Guard who has worked there for a number of years not some young fellow.

If you are satisfied then buy

I used to call the Sundrive Rd end Crimmage when i lived there!

Lovely area - genuine people - looks a little grey and concrety with way too much rubbish floating around - but good amenities, very convenient location and for the best, some good old fashioned neighbours who'll talk to you, look after your bins if you're away and generally make sure all is OK

don't mind the rough edges, they won't mind you ...

fyi captains road is in both crumlin and kimmage - stannaway road divides the 2....and he doesnt live there ...but anyway

old county is a grand area good neighbours close to town etc..dont mind the bad press about crumlin - it just keeps paul williams in a job