Cruising in Ireland - what to bring?

boogaloo

hi all,

planning on going cruising on the Barrow next weekend, up the canal.

I've never been on a cruising break before, and was wondering if someone can tell me what to expect?

Food wise - what groceries should we bring? Obviously nothing that needs to be refrigerated. what about filled pasta, like the one you can get in aldi? It's not stored on the shelf in aldi, think it is maybe filled with cheese & spinach or something? Beans, bread, teabags, pot noodles maybe. Any other suggestions?

Also, we will be probably going through Rathangan, Edenderry and Tullamore - is it easy to 'park up' in these spots and go for a look around the towns?

thanks

It can be handy to pre-cook some food that you can reheat on the boat with minimal fuss e.g. Spagetti Bol or a nice curry etc.

Does the boat have no fridge...

Does the boat have no fridge...

It should have.! There should be no problems buying grub along the way. Beans on Tost! :) My experience of the Barrow (15 years ago) consists of having to stop every few 100 meters to cut long stringy weed from the prop. As we were in a barge we could not turn back until we got to a place wide enough. In the end it was faster to manually tow the barge along the tow path.

Towger

I dont think there is a fridge on the boat, no. hadn't thought about cooking something ourselves and heating it up the first night maybe, that is a great plan.

I hope the weed problem has improved since you were there towger, otherwise it could make for a frustrating weekend!

Any recommendations for nice rest restaurants along our route? We will be going North from Athy direction.

cheers!

I dont think there is a fridge on the boat, no. hadn't thought about cooking something ourselves and heating it up the first night maybe, that is a great plan.

I hope the weed problem has improved since you were there towger, otherwise it could make for a frustrating weekend!

Any recommendations for nice rest restaurants along our route? We will be going North from Athy direction.

cheers!

The weed should not be a problem. It is too early in the year and have heard that maintain on the canals has improved since. It was too long ago to remember the restaurants. If you are going on a standard hire boat there would normally be a gas powered fridge, cooker and hot and cold running water etc. All the luxuries of home.

Enjoy you trip,

Towger

Boogaloo,

Dont forget to bring warm clothes, boats tend to be quite damp at this time of year and can get very cold at night. If you wear glasses/sunglasses might be an idea to get one of those chains to keep them around your neck (sometimes glasses have a tendancy to slip off and into the water when you least expect it!!!! RIP fav sunglasses). Other than that whatever snacks to keep you going during the day, you will get quite peckish being out in the air all the time.

enjoy.

Mers1, you're a star - have just written down about the sunglasses grip things. Great invention.

I plan on bringing a few fleeces and probably tracksuit bottoms to keep me warm, and a hat aswell in case i get really cold.

Will bring plenty of food.

thanks again everyone for advice.

Back