Cruise Lines

Prices are a bit higher this year, everything was very cheap last year. So things are just returning to normal.

The best time to get good deals is after final payment. That's 90/60 days from departure depending on the cruise line. This is the last time for people to cancel and get their deposits back. So it's when the cruise line knows how busy the cruise will be. This can work either way as prices can go up at this time too. My own guess is that prices for September will go down , but it's a very dangerous game to play unless you are flexible.

Make sure you book with an American travel agent , prices in Ireland will be about +30%.

Try http://www.vacationstogo.com (very good discount travel agent) and [broken link removed] (get quotes from lots of agencies).

Looks at the information you posted the best fit seems to be the Norwegian Gem out of Venice. I have been and this ship before and can highly recommend it. The cruise is Dubrovnik Croatia , Athens (Piraeus) Greece , Izmir Turkey (Ephesus), Nauplion, Greece and back to Venice.

It will cost about €1100 each for a balcony, but you will need flights to Venice too. If you want to go with an inside cabin it would be about €750 each.

RCCL do have the Splendour of the Seas heading to Greece but a balcony is going to cost about €1400 each. You could however get an inside for about €700 each. So that's something to consider.

I don't think there is any Princess ships going to that part of the med at the moment.

-=-=
No connection to any site or company mentioned about , except as a past customer.

Thanks for v.good advice. I would be prepared to take the chance in respect of waiting until the 60/90 days. Yes the inside cabins are very affordable but I really wouldn't envy anybody taking one of those as I imagine it's claustrophobic. Will look at the websites you have given me, thanks. The Norwegian Gem is one I looked at earlier today, and I think that you might be right - it may be the best for our requirements. You never know, I might manage to get cheap flights. Thanks again.

Just a little bit of advice on getting the best value.
As usual you are ripped off in Ireland, so here is what you do. You can save 50% or more if you do this. Works for all cruise lines.

Get your price on the cruise lines American website.

Check for flights on the dates you need (fly over the day before, and home later on the ship returns - they are always on time.)

Ring up the cruise companys US office and tell them you are interested in the curise and tell them you want to pay in Dollars. They might tell you you have to ring their European agent (where it will be twice the price) but insist and say you will not be ringing them you will just go to another line who will let you pay in dollars. Ask to speak to a manager.

When the cruise is booked (just pay deposit for now, or get them to hold it until you get the flights booked), then just book your flights and hotel yourself.

The markup from the travel agents here is unreal. Avoid them.

You will hear all the crap about not being insured etc. Just call your insurance company and clarify.

Example

14-Day Greek Isles, Adriatic, Greece & Turkey Round-trip Venice

Ship: Norwegian Gem
Departs: Venice
Departure Dates: 2010: Aug 14, Aug 28
Ports of call: Venice; Split; Corfu; Santorini; Mykonos; Iraklion; Dubrovnik; Athens (Piraeus); Ephesus (Izmir); Nafplion

Balcony Room

US Website : $3,379 NCL.COM
UK Site : £2472 $3900 NCL.co.uk
Irish Site : €2762 $3795 www.cruiseholidays.ie

Thats cruise only from all 3 sites.
If you add flights from Dublin to Venice you can add another up to €1000. Flights to Venice are cheap. Book them yourself. Those prices are Per Person too. So for 2 people double the savings.

Minion, great advice. I will do that. The saving will more than pay for the flights and hotel. Thank you.