Cruise - First time

bigjoe_dub

have been thinking about a cruise now for a few years. Watching that Francis Brennan show has pushed me over the edge and I now want to do it.

have not been on one before.

will be myself, wife and 2 kids (18 and 13)

To ease myself in I was thinking about starting off with the Med say 7-10 days.

I am based in Dublin.

Looking for
a) a good reputable company to book through who can look after flights as well. Would prefer a place where I could go in and talk to them but would consider online as well if you had exceptional service experience.

b) some of your do's and dont's top tips.

We booked a nice Mediterranean cruise through Clickngo. Added extra days before cruise in Rome and they organized everything, including hotel nights and transfers.
Regarding cruise, drinks packages are quite expensive as are organized activities. We generally made our own way through the various ports, which in the Med are generally near enough to city centers to walk through and around. Food is available all day long so you have to be quite disciplined about dining. We were on one of the MSC ships and it was excellent. Lots of shows for entertainment.

We booked a nice Mediterranean cruise through Clickngo. Added extra days before cruise in Rome and they organized everything, including hotel nights and transfers.
Regarding cruise, drinks packages are quite expensive as are organized activities. We generally made our own way through the various ports, which in the Med are generally near enough to city centers to walk through and around. Food is available all day long so you have to be quite disciplined about dining. We were on one of the MSC ships and it was excellent. Lots of shows for entertainment.
Thank you. Will check that out.

Our tips and tricks from 8 cruises with MSC:
Europe is a good choice for a first cruise. I would probably go with Venice (phenomenal view from a deck on a city) or Barcelona (port close to the city, cheaper hotels if you want to stay a night or two before the cruise, beautiful city).
Perhaps the most important question is what kind of cabin would you like - inner, window, balcony. We always stayed in an inner cabin, reasoning that we'll be there only for showering and sleeping. The ship is usually docked during the day and you'll be out exploring the city you're in. And there's a lot to do on a ship so think about how much time you'll spend in a cabin. People usually think that cruises are expensive so you'll probably be surprised to find a 7 days all-inclusive cruise to be cheaper than your regular vacation (flights included).
For your first cruise, it might be better to use the agency to avoid any problems with flights, hotels, travel) but if you want more than you should continue arranging it on your own. We are finding the best prices on german sites ( for example).
Check different cruise companies to find what you would like to go with. We are quite happy with the MSC (price/quality) but it's probably because they were our first one and we never had any problems with them. It might worth it to stick with the company to get into the travel club to get a discount and better prices.
Happy travel bigjoe_dub!

Hi bigjoe. We've done 11 cruises over the last 10 years, the last 8 with MSC. MSC, in my opinion, offers the best value for money. However, over the years, cruising has become very popular and prices have crept up as standards have slipped somewhat. By standards, I mean quality of food etc. Previous posters have given you good advice. I would add the following;
1. Most cruise lines add an additional Daily Service Charge to your on-board account. This replaces the traditional tips/gratuities which were discretionary. The charge is approximately €10 per person per day. It would apply to your children as well. MSC now include this in the fare. It is possible to remove or reduce this onboard but that suggests stiffing the crew. As it is added to your account, it is not necessary to tip additionally on-board.
2. If you like a drink, you may wish to purchase a drink package. MSC drinks packages are very reasonable at min €29 pppd. All individuals on your booking must have the same package but the 13yo only needs to have the soda package. If you go without a package, be aware that drinks on-board are expensive and water is only free in the buffet.
3. There are different levels of stateroom, from inside to balconies/suites. Better locations and staterooms obviously cost more.
4. Dining is a subject that divides cruisers on all lines. Food is quite good but not gourmet unless you pay extra. Dining times are usually fixed and you will probably be required to share a table with strangers but they are usually English speakers as well. MDR dining times are early(5.30pm on) and late(8.30 on). You will be allocated a time on your booking but you can change this onboard, subject to availability. This in in the main dining room(MDR) only. If you want more flexibility, the buffet is open at least 20 hours a day. You can sometimes book a package which allows flexible dining times or go to a specialty restaurant for a fee.
5. Most cruise lines have children's clubs onboard which you can sign up your child for. The 18 year old obviously not.
6. Ports of call are the big attraction in the Med. Availing of ship excursions is very expensive. Most tours can be sourced locally in advance via the internet for half the money. Don't be alarmed by scaremongering about missing the ship if you're on an unofficial tour, these tour companies are well practiced at getting you back on time. Larger ships often have to dock away from the city centre and ships will offer you a shuttle to the city but it's expensive especially for 4. Ports often offer a free shuttle to the gate at least but even a taxi might be economical for you.
7. Entertainment on-board is usually of a high standard but can get repetitive. Some cruise lines now partner with known brands such as Cirque du Soleil or Blue Man Group, sometimes with a fee for the show.

Overall, I enjoy cruises but it is not very economical and I would not cruise with kids. Your base cost will probably exceed €4,000 for a week. Everyone is different though. For a first cruise, I would recommend Royal Caribbean but I use MSC because of price.

Bon Voyage
Slim

Back