Crows attacking bird feeder

beetroot

Hi just wondering if anyone has any ideas how to discourage crows visiting my birdfeeder? I have a small bird feeder hanging off the clothes line. They swarm the feeder in groups of 6-10 and scare off all the other smaller birds. I have to constantly refill the feeder and they have broken the feeder twice (had to buy two new ones). I tried a different feeder, a perspex one with feed holes at the bottom but the crows attack that just as easy. At first I didn't mind but now they have totally taken over the feeder and I don't get any smaller birds anymore. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Yep, my father-in-law came up with an ingeneous solution.

Go to your garden centre and buy two wire hanging baskets. Make sure that they are big enough in top diameter to hold your bird feeder. Now wire the two of them together so that they hang on either side of the feeder. The end result looks like a ball with the feeder in the middle.

The smaller birds have no problem getting through the holes in the baskets, but the crows cannot.

Thanks for the suggestions, the hanging baskets idea sounds good, will give it a go.

It's unusual behaviour for crows though flocks of starlings often try to use feeders designed for smaller birds. You could add a high bird-table to your garden to put seed, nuts and scraps for the larger birds. it works for my lot..........magpies, collar-doves, gulls and crows eat off the flat roof, little'uns get on the feeders. My sparrows stopped squabbling when I installed a long feeder with half-a-dozen perches. Now they don't have to queue.

Try hanging feeder not so near periphery, allows larger birds to attack. I've had similar problems with magpies. But after re-locating the feeders closer to the centre, the larger birds cannot swarm the feeders, but with the added protection of branches, the smaller ones can get in no problem.