Cross Border Shopping

So who can recommend the best spots to go to for cross boarder shopping?

Do not go up the M1, do not go to Newry. Instead, go up the N2 via Carrickmacross and Armagh. From there you can access Craigavon Shopping Centre outside Portadown, Banbridge Outlet centre and Belfast. Enniskillen is another good spot, accessed via N2 and Cavan.

Repeat: avoid M1 at all costs, its not worth it....once you get into the Newry jam you cannot get out as there are no exits from the M1 before Newry (I joined the jam last Sat at 9am about 3 miles outside Newry and I got to out of it at 10.30, and I wasnt even going into Newry, I was going around it, but you still get stuck in the one queue!)

I have to head to Newtownards on Friday morning. I'll be passing by Newry about 9am. Is the traffic bad during the week or is it just at the weekend?

I have to head to Newtownards on Friday morning. I'll be passing by Newry about 9am. Is the traffic bad during the week or is it just at the weekend?

Cant answer that 100% but I was there last Saturday and 9am was mayhem. I would assume it would be fine on a Friday though....I dont think too many people are willing to take a day of work just to shop in the North

I suppose the best bet would be to listen closely to the traffic news that morning and have alternative routes planned if necessary.

Theoneill, If you went via Forkhill, then Newcastle (from the last roundabout on the Newry bypass) it might be easier. Longer as the crow flies but should be relatively traffic free.

We went, we saw and we bought!

Left Dublin at 11am and parked in Newry, Buttercrane Shopping Centre at 1pm. Not too bad.

Some good deals for clothes in Debenhams and M&S if that's your kind of thing. Good savings on nappies!!!!! Didn't go overboard on alcohol but some savings here too.

I would definitely say there could easily be big queues at Newry roundabout over the weekends.

The rest of the shopping will be done at home.

PS Stopped in a nice hotel Dublin side of Dundalk for a meal on the way home, just to avoid the chaos, someone will know the name of it.

went to Newry on Mon last. Took all the back roads we could but could see that the road to the roudnabout at the top of the hill into Newry was clear all the way. the traffic started halfway down the hill coming close to the shopping centres. The town itself was also easy to get through. [Left Balbriggan about 11am]
Found good savings and will definitely be going back for more.