Croatia

P

pinegarden

Going to Dubrovnik end of May and i want to get some Croatia Kuna ,would anybody know Which of the irish banks charge the best rate.
Thanks IN advance

You ATM card would enable you to withdraw money when you are there, with no cost if its a mastro or link....most ATM cards these days are.

Surely there will be a cross-border handling fee charge since the OP is withdrawing a non-euro currency, similar to if you are in England...

Yup there will be ATM charges but I'd be sure it would be a lot cheaper than getting ripped off with a 10+% spread on the exchange rate to get Croatian cash before you go ... ATM network in Croatia is very good and reliable - your cards will work there no problem at all (with a small fee on transactions - so don't make lots of small withdrawals - do a few large ones instead) ..

Bring a bit of € cash if you want to have some cash for arriving just in case .. and convert it into Kuna when you arrive - that will be much cheaper than trying to get Kuna in Ireland before you go as the rates (don't be fooled by "Commission Free") will be likely horrendous

There will be a fee to withdraw money from ATM machines in Croatia.

However, there is also a fee to convert the Euro to Kuna here and unless
you are converting a lot of money in one transaction you won't make much
savings.

If you do convert a lot of money, you have the added inconvenience of
carrying a lot of cash with you, which may be lost or stolen.

For peace of mind and convenience, I would suggest using the ATM abroad.
Withdraw moderate sums of money when you do use it, it's worth taking
the hit of a few Euro in my opinion to avoid the hassle of carrying cash!

Don't ever exchange your cash in the airport. Charges are always highest there! You pay for their early & late hours.
If you buy Kunas in a bank here, keep the receipt and then if you have some left over when you get back, you can exchange for the exact same rate.

Back