Croatia & Slovenia

onekeano

Trying to go to Dubrovnik and Piran in Slovenia (as a a result of a tip seen on AAM) for about 5 days each in June / July. No problem arranging flights to Dubrovnik but as I don't want a six hour drive to Piran and (beside Portoroz) I am a bit flumoxed by the fact that there seems to be very little transport (trains or planes) between Dubrovnik and that part of Slovenia.

Just wondering a) if anyone had tried a similar trip and if so how they did it or b) if anyone knows of a tour operator who does a Croatia / Slovenia trip?

Any advice appreicitaed,

Thanks
Roy

Re: Croatia & Slovenia - aaaagghhh

Mmm. I'm too lazy to check it out but you could probably get a bus to Split from Piran and then rail it to Dubrovnik.

Another good flight option for Piran is Trieste.

Piran is for a laid back holiday. There's not enough there to keep you occupied for five days.

Ok thanks Europhile - just got the impression from another thread here that it was "the jewel" so thanks for the tip. I'll check elsewhere.

Roy

Any know of any good hotels in Slovenia?

Thinking of taking a car spend a few nights in Ljubljnia / Lake Bled and Portoroz.

Using hotelclub.net but the selection seems very poor for Slovenia (in fact it doesn't seem to recognise Lake Bled at all!).

Any suggestions would be very welcome

Roy

Try Crystal, Topflight & Inghams. There are price differences between the 3 for the same hol. Not sure who is cheapest this year so try all three !

Well Roy,
In a similar boat myself at the moment.
Easyjet fly from Stanstead to Ljubljana. Lake Bled etc. is only a train ride from there. Getting to Dubrovnik from there isn't so straightforward.
One option is to fly from Ljubljana to Podgorica in Montenegro, which is a longish bus ride to Dubrovnik. Possible to maybe stay a day in somewhere like Budva (~halfway to Dubrovnik) on the Montenegro coast (It's meant to be nice!)
The other option is to get a train from Ljubljana to Zurich and fly to Dubrovnik directly from there with either Adria Airlines or Croatia Airlines. Haven't fully figured out this leg yet!
AirLingus then fly from Dubrovnik back to Dublin.
I would be interested to know how you get on and what you decide on.
Jim.

hi you can check out this website who do trips all over my auntie went with them last year to lake garda and it was great value with day trips included and food. It is Thetraveldepartment.ie

Hi.
Ive been to Slovenia and Croatia. I would fly to Stansted and then on to Ljub with Easyjet. Ryanairs new routes out of Dublin include venice treviso which is only about 1.5 hrs from Ljub by train. That would prob be the best option with a return flight from dubrov with aer lingus. id avoid travel agents totally. Bled is beautiful and is only an hour from Ljub and the trains are about hourly. We got a train down to split and stayed there for 2 nights, whic was nice and broke up the journey. If your not going to fly bus/car is the only way to dubrovnik as there is no train line.

We stayed in hostels so wouldnt be able to advise on hotels etc, but the area overall is beautiful and cheap, so the expensive flights would easily be subsidised when you arrive. If you book it send me a message and i ll give you directions to the pizzeria in slovenia!

Enjoy

Does anyone know of the various flying options for getting from Ljubljana to Dubrovnik? Is going to Zurich first the best/only option for flying into Dubrovnik? Or has anyone travelled this route by other means?
Many Thanks.

Jim,

Sky Europe fly to dubrovnik from both Bratislava and Budapest. I reckon both are closer than zurich, and alot cheaper than flying swiss air. not sure bout flying from ljub to Brat or Bud, but a train wouldnt be that long.

Hi Jim,

I gave up on the Dubrovnik idea after trawling non stop for hours. Have booked nice hotels in LjubLjnia for 2 nights then onto Bled for 3 nights and finally Portoroz for 3 nights. Going vis Easyjet from Stansted - very reasonable. Will be hiring car to make the most of it.

Best of luck
Roy

A very easy way to travel in is fly over Stansted to Trieste, hire a car (you arrive there in early afternoon) and spend 10 days-2 weeks driving. It's easy to spend 3 days in Slovenia, overnight on the way south in Croatia, a few days in Split, a couple in Dubrovnik and then overnight on the way back up the country as you pick up the motorway to Rijeka and into Trieste.

There's definitely enough in Slovenia to keep you interested for 8 nights. Ljubljana is small and beautiful, while Lake Bled is one of the most chilled-out places I've been to - maybe a bit too chilled for some people as there's really not much to do except for sit around. Take a drive through the Julian Alps if you have time - some of the most beautiful scenery in Europe.

Budapest

I understand that you can get a hydrofoil from Venice to Piran. I was in Piran/Portoroz a few years ago and loved the place. We stayed in the Hotel Lucija in Portoroz.

Slovenia is beautiful, the area around Lake Bled is really nice, Ljubljana is nice for a couple of days. When I was there 4 years ago, the Tourist offices had lists of people who rented out rooms in their house, which was nice , and at that time was 10-15 euro for a room.
The caves at Postojna (somewhere en route from Ljubljana to Trieste) are well worth it, absolutely huge & Unesco listed. The food wasn't great, they're fond of pizza & pasta. You could easily spend 2 weeks travelling around Slovenia.