CRO-New Business Name Registration

Z

zen

Hi

I reserved a name with the CRO. Just a Business name. I got the cert. Does this mean I have to file annual returns even if I'm not doing business, I'm thinking of going into business next year (sole trader)but want be sure I haven't missed any obligations. I got the name and just wanted to make sure no one else takes it is all. When you register a business name are you automatically a sole trader or do you have to do something else?

Does this mean I have to file annual returns even if I'm not doing business, I'm thinking of going into business next year (sole trader)but want be sure I haven't missed any obligations.

There are no annual filing obligations to the CRO in respect of a business name. The annual filing obligations refer only to companies.

I got the name and just wanted to make sure no one else takes it is all.

Do bear in mind that a having a business name registered does not stop someone else from registering the same business name. If you search cro.ie for a common business name like "Market Bar" you will see that sizeable numbers of people have each registered that business name.

When you register a business name are you automatically a sole trader or do you have to do something else?

No, your legal structure has nothing to do with the business name. If operating as a sole trader or partnership you must register accordingly for tax purposes with Revenue. If you want to operate as a limited company you must form a company and register accordingly with Revenue once company is active.

Thanks T McGibney! You have been extremly helpful. I might have to look into doing a course on starting your own business but this info has given me some peace of mind. Thanks again!

Incorporating a business name is the only way of protecting that name. Registering a business name is practically useless.

Yep, Registering a Business Name doesn't give you exclusive rights to it by any means;

[broken link removed]
Registration of a business name is obligatory if any individual or partnership (whether composed of individuals or bodies corporate or any combination of both) or any body corporate carries on business under a name other than their own true names...

The CRO does not check proposed business names against names on the registers of companies or business names. It is advisable, therefore, to investigate the possibility of others having rights in the name which it is proposed to use before incurring expenditure on business stationery, etc...

You should note that registration of a business name:

• does not give protection against duplication of the name...

Instead of wasting your time to complete the process of company name registration, I think selecting the professional services could be the best option. If you do so, professionals makes the process of registration easy and quicker.