Crk City 1984 - 2009 - R.I.P. ?

There seems to be an attitude with the LOI that money owed to Revenue should not be paid unless you are forced to. That tax money should essentially be risked on the transfer market in the hope that new signings will bring success and money. This attitude needs to change or we'll see a lot more clubs being wound up. Clubs need to ring fence the money they owe in taxes and not spend it.

Any limited company (sporting or otherwise) which does not discharge it's obligations under the Taxes Acts risks a Revenue initiated winding up. Revenue cannot and should not treat this case any differently and the defendents should not expect to be treated any differently.

Awwghhh......thought for a minute that the city of Cork (as an entity)was being wound up!

Awwghhh......thought for a minute that the city of Cork (as an entity)was being wound up!

Isnt this being proposed by Bord Snip - Cork City will be abolished and whole lot will be Cork County.

They're going on about it on Liveline at the moment.

I thought the 'best fans in the world' came from Munster ?

There's a tradition in Cork of LOI clubs going to the wall, Hibs, United, Athletic and now City. By LOI standards City are pretty well supported, but not enough to maintain full time soccer at the wages players look for nowadays. Doesn't help that they don't own the ground so they end up paying rent for Turners Cross but can't use it for other events to raise money. I always thought they'd be better off trying to develpe and share Musgrave park with Munster

And for all the mickey takers out there, as the saying goes, there are 2 types of people in the world, those that come from Cork and everyone else that wishes they did. In time, you will understand and accept that, boy !!!!

as the saying goes, there are 2 types of people in the world, those that come from Cork and everyone else that wishes they did.

Those that come from Cork, and those that wish they'd stay there !

Maybe NAMA could flog them a site for a ground of their own ?

Those that come from Cork, and those that wish they'd stay there !

You're just in denial !!!

Heard on the radio this morning that under the previous owners, players were getting paid €1000 for scoring a goal. No wonder they're gone bust, no LOI club can afford that on top of basic wages

I've been a City fan since they were founded and went to most of their home games up to about 5 or 6 years ago, when it became difficult for me to get to matches.

Csirl and Graham are right about running a club properly in a business like fashion. There's no hiding place from the tax man.

What saddens me most of all about the whole unfortunate affair though, is the way that this thread has been hijacked by Bren1916, Csirl and Tarfhead to have a go at our wonderful, independent Republic and its noble citizens!

Next time ye're coming to town, Mpsox and myself will be waiting for ye, with hurleys, at the tunnel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We might even welcome ye with a Mayfield hand shake!

A cheap shot, Bren, and one that would be most hurtful, were it not for the fact that our hurlers felt that, in harsh economic times, our noble citizens should not be put to the expense of following 2 county teams in the final stages of the All Ireland series this year.

Now, when did you say you were coming to Cork..............?

Coincidentally I was in Cork City yesterday afternoon and heard part of the Joe Duffy show before parking in Grand Parade.
For the next two hours as I walked around I didn't see one Cork City jersey being worn by anyone.
The usual suspects, Man Utd Liverpool, Celtic, Bayern Munich, Sunderland ( no Ipswich yet) , Munster Rugby, Cork GAA but not one Cork City garment.

What does this say ??

In light of the fact that so many cork teams have gone to the wall ;
Evergreen , Fordsons , Cork Hibs , Cork Celtic and Cork Alberts could I suggest that any new club be called Cork " Insert appropriate Title here " Football Club - it would save a fortune on stationary , jerseys etc and perhaps a club crest of rodents leaping from a sinking ship ?

As a big time supporter of CCFC I am gutted at the latest out come of the winding up order for the club. Don’t get me wrong, Justice Leffoy was more than patient with the chairman of CCFC with regard to paying taxes and even if all tax monies were paid on Friday by some miracle there are other creditors waiting in the wings.
Caterers
Programme publishers
Staff/players
Kit suppliers
Hotels
FAI
MFA
Ex staff unfairly dismissed who have won awards

The list is endless.

Someone made the point in an earlier post that CCFC don’t own the Turners Cross ground so they pay rent which is a further cost. To be honest it is just as well that CCFC doesn’t own Turners Cross because if they did it would be a housing estate by now. Since our current chairman was appointed there has been no rent paid to the MFA for Turners Cross and the MFA have been remarkably lenient.

Our problems began in 2005 just after we won the League. Our then chairman (and probably our best) Brian Lennox sold the club to an investment trust (Arkaga) as he had brought the club so far and needed someone to bring it further. Arkaga took over and we went from a club that financially struggled (but kept head above water due to budgeting) to one that seemed to have won the Lotto.
Arkaga were owned by a wealthy individual who assumed that with an All-Ireland League in the offing he could make a killing. He spent like there was no tomorrow.
When the FAI and IFA stated that there was no chance of an All-Ireland league Arkaga immediately turned off the tap. Overnight the club had no money and Arkaga walked away and the club entered Examinership.

Enter Tom Coughlan who purchased the club out of Examinership (rumoured for €1) and assumed the liabilities. CCFC have two major assets which he promised to use to pay revenue outstanding monies. He sold the sell on clause for Kevin Doyle for €200k and also had £150,000 for winning the Setanta cup. It was assumed that this money would be used to pay off revenue. It wasn’t. Since the present incumbent took over last October it seem no bills have been paid what so ever (not just Revenue).

He was in front of the High Court previously and presented Revenue with cheques which subsequently bounced and he is now complaining that Revenue are being unreasonable. He is threatening to appeal the liquidation to The Supreme Court but on what grounds????? That soccer clubs don’t have to pay tax???

Which do they prefer, Wembley or Craven Cottage? Would Cork fans be willing to travel to London to watch home games?

Seriously, says in some of the papers today that Cork City paid their players outstanding wages NET OF TAX and didnt think that this created any more liability to the taxman to take them out of examinership. This is madness.

LOI needs to be cleaned up. It is seriously lacking in managerial and financial expertise. A lot of the clubs seem to come from the duck and dive dell boy school of running a business. Its a big shame, because it could be a great league if it was better run.