Critique of the Public Sector

cremeegg

The public sector in Ireland consumes a large part of the national wealth approx. 40% and produces a corresponding part of national output, in areas such as health, education, welfare, policing.

Its operations in many areas are crucial to the performance of the rest of the economy. The public sector sets the legal and regulatory frame work for all economic activity.

In other countries public administration is seen as a serious professional activity. The highest achieving French school-leavers dream of getting into the ENA National school of public administration. Here no ambitious school leaver thinks dreams of becoming a county manager.

While there is endless complaining about the manner the public sector conducts its business, (I am thinking Liveline) there is little real analysis of its achievements or shortcomings.

Where such analysis does occur there is no action taken on foot of that.

We now have a case where there has been detailed analysis of the failure of the Financial Regulator as outlined by judge Nolan.

There are many other issues that could benefit from the same scrutiny such as, what value local authorities provide for the rates.

Why no Irish universities appear in lists of the world's top 100.

What we need an army for.

Why ROS (the Revenue Online System) is such a spectacular success, it is you know. When so many other public sector IT projects are such disasters, PayPars, and electronic voting, for example.

So I have a Rock the Boat suggestion. AAM should fill the gap and have a forum to critique issues in the public sector. This would need to be heavily monitored to avoid becoming an echo chamber for moaners, but AAM has probably a better record for rational discussion than any other public forum I can think of.

We have a responsibility to the country.

Good idea.
Other than Revenue can anyone think of one area of the Public or Civil Service, health of criminal justice sectors, that fit for purpose and offers good value for money?

Good idea.
Other than Revenue can anyone think of one area of the Public or Civil Service, health of criminal justice sectors, that fit for purpose and offers good value for money?

Steady on now, I'm sure WizardDr will be along in due course to disabuse you of any notions you have about Revenue's fitness for purpose... ;)

Good idea.

Unfortunately the only area of the public or civil service that I have had regular contact with that I can hand on heart say I was impressed with is the Revenue department.

Sad really.

I'd nominate the Property Registration Authority. Fantastic online services, overworked staff doing a great job. Innovative and progressive.

I'd like to nominate the Further Education Centre where I work. Great teaching and Learning taking place @ Level 5 and Level 6

Is that allowed?;)

Marion

1 of the main issue in the PS/CS is the 'job for life' policy. Once your in, your in and that causes many to push the cruise button for the next 40 years. No matter how inept or incapable you are (or even criminal), you are 99% likely to be kept on (moved around, but not let go).
2 glaring examples of this yesterday:

1. 8 years after the murder of Gary Douch in Mountjoy, a report is finally issued. Interviewed by Paul Williams on rte, the head of the prison service said no one had been punished internally. He claimed it was now too late to chase anybody over this.
When asked if people named in the report were still working in the Prison Service, he said some were but most had 'moved on' (thats PS/CS code for they've been moved to other areas of the PS/CS).
http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0501/614626-gary-douch-report/

2. A few days after the sentencing (!) in the Anglo trial, we learn that Con Horan is returning from his hiatus in London with the European Banking Authority to a yet unspecified job in the Central Bank. Con was in charge of 'supervising' Anglo back in the day and was #2 in the Financial Regulator's office to that financial genius, Patrick Neary
In 2008, senior official Mr Horan was the Prudential Director of the Irish Financial Services Regulatory Authority, with hands-on responsibility for supervising lenders, including Anglo.
http://www.independent.ie/business/...go-back-to-work-at-central-bank-30234518.html.
The Guv'nor of the CB has yet to decide where to put him. But whatever he does, even if it's emptying bins, he'll keep his current grade/wages/conditions

While I'm at it, I'd also like to see the Unions removed from meddling in every single aspect of the running of the organisations on a day to day basis with regards to staff issues.
The PS/CS should also change focus from putting employee's first to putting the public first (obvious, but it's not how it works in practice).
I'd also like to see the removal of pensions/benefits from those that screw up/act criminally ....that would waken an awful lot of people up and stop those accepting promotions beyond their pay grade

Last edited:
I'd like to nominate the Further Education Centre where I work. Great teaching and Learning taking place @ Level 5 and Level 6

Is that allowed?;)

Marion

Hi Marion,

Great that you're working in a place that you think is performing...it's a nice place to be! I've worked in lots of different organisations and can only think of 2 that are really performing. One is in the retail space (which are by nature aggressive anyway) and the other is a semi public co-op that I am doing some work for at the moment - great bunch of people with a lot of skill doing very interesting work.

There's been a lot of adverse publicity regarding teachers of late. However, we've been blown away by the standard of education our little one is getting. The school and her teacher are amazing us. We were only saying it the other night that currently (and especially with our 2nd going to school in Sept 12 months) we can see real benefit from the taxes we pay.

I also think the libraries are doing a good job. The one near us is top class and the one in the Grand Parade in Cork is superb with a special room just for the kids...we bring ours there most Saturday mornings for an hour.

Firefly.

Is that allowed?;)

Marion
Why not?
I think the Passport Office does a great job, now that I think about it.

The IPA have published a comprehensive report in January of this year on the state of the Public Services which suggests that performance is slightly better than the European average despite a significantly lower expenditure on such services than the European average.

www.ipa.ie/pdf/Public_Sector_Trends_2013.pdf

The IPA have published a comprehensive report in January of this year on the state of the Public Services which suggests that performance is slightly better than the European average despite a significantly lower expenditure on such services than the European average.

[broken link removed]

That ties in nicely with the Trade Unions comprehensive report that people are being paid too little and IBECS comprehensive report that people are still being paid too much.

That ties in nicely with the Trade Unions comprehensive report that people are being paid too little and IBECS comprehensive report that people are still being paid too much.

I have struggled to find such comprehensive reports from either IBEC or the Unions - perhaps you could point me in the right direction ?

Personally I think we have entered into the usual posturing season prior to the inevitable wage rise demands .

I thought the IPA report was interesting & comprehensive - it certainly suggests that our PS is punching above it's weight .

Not to mention the recent Central Bank report

www.ipa.ie/pdf/Public_Sector_Trends_2013.pdf

The IPA is hardly what you would call a neutral party though, is it?
It would be like the Irish College of General Practitioners saying that Irish GP's were great.

There really is no pleasing some people :D

I post a link that shows a report that takes this thread from the level of anecdotal reports to a more scientific & factual level & still quibblers abound !

The good news bears repeating - the most current , detailed report shows that our PS are performing slightly better than the European average despite the expenditure of significantly less funds - something that surely should please us all ?

The good news bears repeating - the most current , detailed report shows that our PS are performing slightly better than the European average despite the expenditure of significantly less funds - something that surely should please us all ?

That's like saying our politicians aren't as useless, dishonest, incompetent, & self-serving as the average EU politician. Faint praise ... etc

That's like saying our politicians aren't as useless, dishonest, incompetent, & self-serving as the average EU politician. Faint praise ... etc
It's like a body that relies on the good will and support of politicians issuing a report saying that our politicians aren't as useless, dishonest, incompetent, & self-serving as the average EU politician.

The report shows that our PS are performing slightly better than the European average despite SIGNIFICANTLY less funding .

Your reference to politicians in the context of this thread is a red herring .

There really is no pleasing some people :D

I post a link that shows a report that takes this thread from the level of anecdotal reports to a more scientific & factual level & still quibblers abound !

It's not all good news though is it? Taken as an average, it seems ok. But 2/3 of the public service is made up of health and education. From the report:

Education:
  • Ireland ranked 16th of the 22 participating European countries with regard to science.
  • Ireland ranked 14th of 17 participating European countries in terms of literacy among 16-65 year olds
  • Ireland ranked
    14th of 17 participating European countries numeracy proficiency of 16-65 year olds
  • Ireland ranked 12th of 13 participating European in problem solving ability
  • Ireland spends around the European average per student but achieves a lower level of performance in maths
Health:
  • Ireland has a level of life expectancy roughly as might be expected given the level of expenditure, suggesting cost-effectiveness is neither particularly good nor particularly bad.
  • Ireland ranks around the EU15 average on this health outcomes index
In the two biggest employements, it's not a specific ringing endorsement, particuarly in education where Ireland dows pretty badly on most of the metrics used.

Then there's this statement in the Main findings:

Ireland’s score on an indicator ranking the upholding of traditional public service values such as independence from political interference, freedom from bribery and corruption, and reliability and administrative fairness has improved in each of the last three years.

Which probably doesn't warrant comment.

It certainly is not a ringing endorsement of the Education sector but the Health sector seems to be performing adequately by comparison to other EC countries - life expectancy I would have thought is quite a good barometer.

The question of class sizes & the curriculum are perhaps factors in the education sector ?

As of course is the fact that we have fallen significantly behind our European counterparts in terms of adequately funding our PS.

Slightly above average despite funding difficulties but can do better seems to be the gist of the report .

Back