Critical Illness Protocol (CIP) Application Worries

Sienna

I work for the Civil Service and am currently off sick and on half-pay. I contacted HR about CIP and completed the form. I spoke to my consultant who is writing a report that will be sent to the CMO. I am very worried and anxious that it will not be granted/ or they will defer a decision as per the indicators outlined on the CIP application form. |My illness is not life threatening (fortunately!) but I have had an operation and am in constant chronic pain which requires further investigations and perhaps more operations.

I have heard of people who have been unsuccessful when they applied, predominately for knee operations as I understand it. I was wondering what people's experience has been when applying for CIP and if I am worrying unnecessarily?

I don't have any experience of CIP but for things like this it's worthwhile chatting to your union rep as they may have dealt with it before.

AFAIK, the purpose of CIP is to prevent long term sickness absences on the basis of medical certificates alone.

In the case of absences following knee operations, it may be that the duration of the sickness absence exceeded that which would ordinarily be needed following that procedure.

The function of the CIP is to critically evaluate all long term absences to ensure that only the genuine cases are allowed.

Reactions: POC
Thank you for your replies, offering advice and clarification in relation to CIP. I became very worried after hearing about these cases, and I think all I can do now is await the outcome.

Thank you for your replies, offering advice and clarification in relation to CIP. I became very worried after hearing about these cases, and I think all I can do now is await the outcome.
You could reasonably ask HR if there’s any update. A union rep wouldn’t be of much help in this instance.

Back